Snorkelling in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raina79

Registered
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know of some good, calm snorkelling spots on Oahu, besides Hanauma bay? Somewhere that you can snorkel off the beach? Somewhere not too crowded?

We are staying on Kailua Beach, but will have a rental car.

Thanks!

Some beautiful spots near Makapuu, but a little dangerous.

H bay your best bet, I'm afraid.

Sharks cove if you are up for the drive would be very nice on the weekdays, the weekends are a zoo now. (North Shore)

(eat at Lucy's!)

(or Buzz'es)

I loove Kailua

Try Lani Kai for snorkeling, you can maybe see Tigers.

Anyplace on Oahu that is good is likely to be crowded on the weekends. However, I would recommend Sharks Cove, FireHouse or Three Tables on the North Shore. Bigger beach at Three Tables. All are just beyond Waimea Bay in area referred to as Pupukea. The area is also a marine sanctuary.:)

scubadrew got some video footage of dolphins at Waimea Bay (while snorkeling). You might get lucky there.
Otherwise-- NS like meiling and catherine said.

The three places I listed are better on the week days than the weekends. All are better, people-wise on any day than Haunama Bay!

R the north shore sites ok for a beginner?? I will be with somebody who has never snorkelled before.....maybe best if I stick a lifejacket on her?! : )

We will be on Oahu for 10 days, so I'll definitely try to get out snorkelling during the week rather then on the weekend.

Catherine96821 - my boss already recommended Buzz's to me! This place must be good....mmmmmm! Any other recommendations of things to do / places to go in Kailua?

When will you be here? The North Shore is pretty flat in the summer, but can have monster surf in the late fall or winter. In the summer, it is generally fine for beginners, assuming they can swim. Yes, they are reachable by shore

my boss already recommended Buzz's to me! This place must be good....mmmmmm!

yes, but the atmosphere is very cool too...very "Old Hawaiian" a big tree growing through the middle of the place. Did he tell you its cash only? ...which is a bit unuusal for a place in that price range.

check all these sites:
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Oahu/index.htm
except for lanai lookout and halona blowhole.. they're also good for snorkeling..
YES, from SHORE.. including all the NORTH SHORE sites.

for super easy snorkeling in the summer..
try haleiwa alii.. west of the lava rocks..
lots of big turtles and fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom