Snorkeling VS. Scuba Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snorkeling (freediving) masks are lower volume than scuba masks. Low volume masks become important when freediving deep. Since a freediver needs to release air into the mask to equalize it he is losing air that he needs for ear equalization and that is usually what limits how deep one can freedive. The lower volume the mask is... the more air the freediver has for ear equalization. So in answer to your question… yes there is a difference but IMO mask volume is only a big concern for snorkelers who are diving deep.

I feel that "snorkeling" masks are superior for both freediving and scuba. Lower volume means easier to clear and a faceplate that is closer to your eyes and thus likely to have a better field of view.

I just asked a similar question in another thread. As long as the glass is tempered and the mask is comfortable it should be fine.

I just finished my OW certification and used a "snorkeling" mask. It would great for me; I've used it snorkeling for years on the surface, but this was the first time taking it to depths. We went down to 60 feet on our checkout dives and the mask was comfortable and worked great.

Fins are another issue in my opinion.

Snorkeling fins tend to be short blades with a good amount of flex to be easy on muscles and lightweight for easy travel.

Freediving fins are long blades, designed for maximum propulsion in a single direction with minimal movement.

Scuba fins tend to be stiffer and larger than snorkeling fins (though shorter than freediving fins) in my opinion they should be stiff to facilitate pushing larger amounts of gear thru the water and to allow for more maneuverability underwater. Heavier fins can be nice for giving you more control over your trim (attitude in the water column) - There are LOTS of opinions of fins and styles for scuba, so do your research, try them out and see what fits and works best for you.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom