Snorkeling/scuba question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
i've been snorkeling for about 2 months now and i am getting tired of all the saltwater getting into the tube of the snorkel. i was wondering if i can get a small hand held oxygen tank, and would want it to last for about 10 minutes.. is there such thing? im looking forward into getting something like that because im sick of swallowing the ocean water!:D

help will be well appreciated!

If you're snorkelling then you should be able to clear your snorkel as you approach and clear the surface of the water with a little practice. As you approach the surface raise one arm vertically , tip your head slightly back and gently exhale through the snorkel as your fingertips break the surface.
Once your head is clear, your snorkel should be mostly drained. You can then either blow out the remaining water, or inhale with the tip of your tongue raised towards the front of your mouth - to deflect any remaining water from the back of your throat.

If you go to any LDS then they should be able to help you get trained with scuba or snorkel. The YMCA training that I took used, only snorkelling for the first three sessions.

Using any compressed gas underwater could cause an air embolism or other barotrauma should you hold your breath while ascending.

I take it that you mean air tank rather than oxygen. Breathing pure oxygen at even relatively shallow depths (6m/18') will cause more problems - fits/blackout, through a different mechanism.

Still, with a bit of practice, you should be able to use and clear a snorkel with minimal swallowing of seawater. On a lighter note, you could always go to a freshwater site...a whole different set of tastes await you there!

Spare Air - Bottle & Reg only, Accessories-General, Submersible Systems, Spare Air - Bottle & Reg only

spareairbottle.jpg

i've been snorkeling for about 2 months now and i am getting tired of all the saltwater getting into the tube of the snorkel. i was wondering if i can get a small hand held oxygen tank, and would want it to last for about 10 minutes.. is there such thing? im looking forward into getting something like that because im sick of swallowing the ocean water!:D

help will be well appreciated!

Are you talking about cleating the snorkel on ascent or are you being bothered by splash over when you are in waves?

If it's clearing the snorkel then I agree that clearing it after a dive shouldn't be a big deal.

On the other hand if it's wave splash I hear you. If you will be spending any significant surface time skin-diving it's nice to have a snorkel that at least has a splash guard. This will be a louvered arrangement at the top of the tube, sometime double directed so that it's really hard for a wave to splash in. Personally after a while the frequent clearing gets old and the salt exposure doesn't do me any good either.

You can also get one with a "dry valve" at the top. This will be intended to keep water from entering but while they usually work OK a barrel roll or odd position underwater can fool it into passing water and the wrong breeze topside can cause irritating false closures. The final control feature is a purge valve at the base of the J sump. This is expendable however most models with the first 2 features will have a purge valve.

Many diver eschew snorkels and see no use for anything but a basic J-tube. As far as I'm concerned if water entry is annoying there are means of avoiding it go ahead. The features should provide comfort but are not required for safety.

I'm not sure what you mean by "swallowing ocean water". This should never be happening with any snorkel, can you elaborate. Taking any sort of compressed air into the water is scuba diving and requires scuba training to keep you safe from some very real dangers.

Pete

thanks for all the help.. i just wanna tell you guys a little story about me.

i have a 30g saltwater fish tank at home and i live about 10 minutes from the beach here in Florida. when ever it is i go snorkeling with my buddy we only go in to about 10ft AT THE MOST in depth. what we have been doing is catching fish with a decent sized hand held net, and put him in this small bucket until we get home. but what i am tired of is the snorkeling part. i would just like a small air tank like the one showed above in a previous post "spare air", but i believe that only lasts for about 2-5 minutes. i was looking forward to getting something along the lines of 10-15 minutes of breathing time(and i could always refil it) so it would be so much easier to catch these SMALL fish. i don't feel like getting an air tank to put on my back. its not that intense to were i would need one for what im doing. its not like im diving 20-100ft of water. im not sure if they make the thing i am speaking about. but heck what do i know about this stuff! please help if you have any idea!

thanks for all the help.. i just wanna tell you guys a little story about me.

i have a 30g saltwater fish tank at home and i live about 10 minutes from the beach here in Florida. when ever it is i go snorkeling with my buddy we only go in to about 10ft AT THE MOST in depth. what we have been doing is catching fish with a decent sized hand held net, and put him in this small bucket until we get home. but what i am tired of is the snorkeling part. i would just like a small air tank like the one showed above in a previous post "spare air", but i believe that only lasts for about 2-5 minutes. i was looking forward to getting something along the lines of 10-15 minutes of breathing time(and i could always refil it) so it would be so much easier to catch these SMALL fish. i don't feel like getting an air tank to put on my back. its not that intense to were i would need one for what im doing. its not like im diving 20-100ft of water. im not sure if they make the thing i am speaking about. but heck what do i know about this stuff! please help if you have any idea!

so now we know why all FL divers are complaining about fish sighting famine :D

seriously, if you are to dive (breath compressed air at depth of not less than 15 ft) 15 min, you need to get dive certification, do not try it, honestly.
the spare air i posted earlier just gives around 20 breaths or so; while normal snorkeling, it may be beneficial. as an alternative if you had to submerge for a minute or so not holding your breath.

if i have to get certified i will. i just want something like that so i dont have to worry about going up and down in the water with a snorkel, blowing out water on your way up and when u hit the surface. i would just like to breathe freely. i know there are special snorkels or w.e but i just dont like them. again... is their anything i can get to help out my situation?

I think you just need a bit of practice with clearing your snorkel. When I clear mine I use a quick & forceful blast of air to clear it. I just use a simple j snorkel with no purges or anything fancy. Stick with it and it will get easier.

Smart move on your part for agreeing to get certified before playing with a bottle of compressed air. You can get an air emobolism, among other things, pretty easily without training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom