Snorkeling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You never disappoint, Testudo. Where did you take these? The Flamingo Tongues came out beautifully; luckily, they're pretty rare in Aruba. This year, I found two of them, going to work on a Sea fan, near the same area I shot the pics in my previous post.

View attachment 166133

Interesting that flamingo tongues are not common in Aruba. Just about everywhere I've been in the Caribbean, I've found them fairly common. They are obviously not cryptic, so they are easy to spot. I've been to Curacao, although I can't remember if I saw any there. Where I snorkeled in Curacao there weren't many gorgonians, so just on that basis I may not have come across any flamingo tongues. I have seen places in Grand Cayman where flamingo tongues could be seen everywhere when you examined gorgonians, so they may be exceptionally common there. This is what makes it interesting to go to different localities. Even though the Caribbean fauna is similar everywhere, there are subtle geographic differences in what you may see.

The latest pictures where taken in my "Cayman backyard" on Grand and Little Cayman. The Flamingo Tongues can be seasonally abundant there. I used to miss them most outings (ye of little patience, always looking for the BIG stuff), but I have been practicing with some macro photography, especially when the visibility is not optimal and now see them almost everywhere.

Last edited:
Speaking of bad vis, took these on our first stint at Boca Catalina, a couple of days after a storm had passed the island. Checked that spot a few more times on days with good conditions, and of course, no turtle to hang out with ...

060-2.jpg061-2.jpg062-2.jpg063-2.jpg064-2.jpg

Re 'looking for the big stuff', in my case more a question of necessity due to equipment limitations; my cam has only digi-zoom:eek:, and the macro-setting sucks, so short of cropping the hell out of a shot(like the Flamingo Tongue), the small stuff just ain't gonna make it.

(Hmm, guess, someone finally decided to change that stupid 'post added' feature ...)

Near the end of a stint at Arashi Reef, located at the south-western tip of Aruba, strong current; we were pretty exhausted and on our way out when I saw that Rock Beauty. Needless to say, I ended up spending just about all the juice I had left, trying to get some decent shots.

101ar.jpg102-2abr.jpg103-1r.jpg104-3ar.jpg

Dead on our feet, by the time we made it back to shore, me happy as can be, my wife, not so much ... Think, amongst some 'other things' she called me "Cap'n Ahab" ...

Don't worry, not a contest ... over the years, I've posted some pics that weren't all that, but really meant something to me.

I was up near Destin over Thanksgiving; had thought about doing the East Jetty, but once I saw the forecast for the week ... :scared:

Dolphin trumps Barracuda any day in my book.

PICT0090a.jpgPICT0092aa.jpgPICT0166ab.jpgPICT0167a.jpgPICT0232ar.jpgPICT0229ar.jpg ... Got a lot more ...:wink:

These are from the Blue Heron Bridge, FL. They hang out en masse over there, interesting to watch them hunt and interact, all within about 20' of the shore line ... Great spot; in case you're following the 'BHB Trolls' thread, you know how much there is to see. If you ever make it over this way, let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom