Snorkeling in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgj

Registered
Reaction score
Are there places in the Keys you can go snorkeling from the shore? My kids tried Pennekamp, and it was murky and not worth it.

sgj:
Are there places in the Keys you can go snorkeling from the shore? My kids tried Pennekamp, and it was murky and not worth it.

You can try one of the dive companies as they take both divers and snorklers together on the same boat (cattle boats). They will take you out to the shallower reefs (City of Washington etc...). The vis out there is real good. I was out there diving last month and the water was dead flat and real easy to swim on the surface.

Good Luck, DaveP

you need a boat to get to the reef. I like snorkeling from shore at Bahia Honda State Park... lots of critters in the seagrass on the ocean side, and juvenile fishes in and around the rock jetties on the gulf side. Both sides feature designated "swim areas", hence no flag is required. I'm admittedly easily amused. For those who aren't... reef trips are available from within the park. Enjoy!

Depending on how far down you are going, but it's the same deal as Brent mentioned on Key West...Go to Fort Zachary Taylor beach and there are a few big piles of coral boulders where the critters hang out just float and you'll see them. I've seen barracuda, sting rays, a bunch of parrot fish etc. I can spend hours just tooling around the rocks...I'm easily amused also...

My favorite place to snorkel there is Dry Tortugas, worth the boat ride out to snorkel along the fort. LOTS of things to see besides fish, Moray's, sting rays, HUGE barracudas etc. (oh and some of those cool upside down jellyfish)

And most of the dive boats (cattle boats) run snorkel trips as well as some companies having designated snorkel trips (Sebago Catmaran's have a rather nice one)

I agree with the Bahia Honda State Park, viz will vary depending on weather & current tide state.
If you make a left (south) turn on Big Pine just past the Fish Camp, you can drive down a ways & eyeball some coral heads not too far off shore.
In the same general (Big Pine, Marathon) area are trips to Sombrero Light Reef, as well as Looe Key Reef. The trip is generally worth it, it'll get the kids all fired up. Save it for last though. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom