Snorkeling in the deep blue off Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from Costa Rica and wanted to share an incredible experience snorkeling in the deep blue off the Osa Peninsula. I have been diving since 1988 and have been lucky enough to dive some of the worlds best sites, but never have I had quite the thrill I experienced while snorkeling in the open ocean off Osa. My sister, two nephews and I went out on a small boat with Shawn Larkin of Costa Cetacea, Costa Cetacea. Shawn has been snorkeling and diving all over Costa Rica for many years and is intimately familiar with the marine life of Costa Rica, especially off the Osa Peninsula. He recently served as guide for the Oceans (a Disney IMAX film to be released later this year) crew filming Spinner Dolphins.

Basically we motored out about 10-12 miles off Cano Island to the edge of the continental shelf, found an old floating tree trunk and jumped in. What we found was an explosion of life. The log was basically serving as a nursery for countless numbers of juvenile fish of all types. This in turn provided a smorgasboard for larger pelagics including Rough Toothed Dolphins and Silky Sharks among others. The feeling of swimming in the middle of all this was incredible. The water this far out was very clear and with clear skies overhead and the sunbeams penetrating into the depths it was truly amazing.

For anyone heading to Drake Bay or the Osa Peninsula I highly recommend hooking up with Shawn for a truly incredible experience in the deep blue pelagic.

BTW, we dived Cano Island the day before but hands down snorkeling in the open ocean with Shawn was what I will always remember about our trip to Costa Rica.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom