Snorkeling in Cabo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to be in Cabo for a day at the end of October, coming in off a ship. Since I'm going to LaPaz the following week for a week, doubt I'll take my dive gear with me for just the one day. So I'm looking for good snorkeling operations (meaning giving a lot of time in the water, allowing me to snorkel on my own within sight of the group, perhaps even allowing me weights so I can free dive).

Any recommendations? Any sites particularly good?

You may not want weights, as the water at the end of October is likely to still be pleasantly warm. No exposure protection to a shorty is prob. all you need.

Most snorkeling outfitters will take you to Santa Maria or Chileno. It's not necessary to go there (though those are both very nice locations). Save yourself a long boat trip, and look for a snorkel trip that takes you to either Pelican Rock, or more likely, Lovers' Beach.

The "Pirate Cruise" used to do snorkel trips exclusively to Lovers' Beach (in order to minimize boat trip times).

Assuming you're coming off of a cruise ship (no comments from the peanut gallery, please :wink: ) you could just take a water taxi to Lovers' Beach; snorkel to your hearts' content; & return to the marina via water taxi. Cost is negotiable (on the order of $5 for round-trip, I vaguely recall). Any water taxi will pick you up from Lovers' Beach & return you to the marina; you don't need a specific taxi. The more expensive water taxis will give you a bit of a tour to the sea lion colony & around to the Pacific Ocean before dropping you off at Lovers' Beach.

If you want calmer waters, and still very good snorkeling, you can go to Playa Escondida (on some maps, it's Playa Coral Negro or Playa El Balcon). No water taxi needed. From the marina (where you get dropped off by the cruise ship tenders), proceed out to the main road (either Ave Cabo San Lucas or Blvd Marina, either one is fine). Hang a "counterclockwise" turn. Proceed along the main road that borders the marina, keeping the marina to your left, all the way to the end of the road (a couple of hundred yards) The road ends at a defunct cannery, and a rock jetty. Now, follow the defunct cannery, keeping the defunct cannery to your right. As soon as you go past the cannery, you'll see a small beach with a palapa structure ahead of you. Only locals hang out at this beach. There's the remains of a shipwreck maybe 20-30 yards out from the beach, and some rocks to the right (looking out to sea). Going further to the right, if you're good at bouldering, you'll eventually get to Lovers' Beach. No need to do so, though. Lots of good snorkeling out to the shipwreck & nearby rocks. Local inhabitants include some gorgonians, urchins, cornetfish (they may be trumpet fish, I'm not sure), moorish idols, cleaner wrasse, puffers (both the classic porcupinefish & the guineafowl puffer), etc. You may see seahorses (seriously!).

Snorkeling at Lovers' Beach has better rock formations and greater dropoffs, but more surge. Small rays (mobula rays?) may more easily be spotted at Lovers' Beach. My kids much preferred Playa Escondida.

If you want to rent a weight belt & weights, and/or mask/fins/snorkel, you can try the local dive shops. Though if you're coming in on a cruise ship, unless you're on the first tender, you may not get equipment. The organized snorkel boats (catamarans, regular big boats, etc.) have plenty of rental gear (generic mask/fins/snorkels) & snorkel vests.

If you want a recommendation for a regular snorkel boat, we've done Oceanus in the past. It's a non-sailing, two-deck catamaran, which is very stable. We've also done the pirate cruise (just cruise, no snorkel), which is very nice. The Oceanus tends to go to Chileno (most of the other large snorkel outfitters stop at Santa Maria, but the Oceanus is a bit faster, so can get to Chileno). My experience with the regular snorkel outfitters is that they won't force you to stay in a group.

Have a great trip!!!!

Thank you for such a complete report!

Regardless of the water temps, unfortunately I do need weights to free dive. Being genetically endowed with a natural "Mae West", my free dives are made much easier with a few pounds of lead.

No worries on the equipment - I'd never go without my own. Spend years getting it just right for diving just to rent leaky masks and uncomfortable fins/snorkels? Thanks, but no thanks. Hard enough for me to go somewhere without my dive gear, but I can bring my essentials along (though I'll have to remember to transfer them from one suitcase to another the night I get home... hmmm... maybe I'll bring just bring my spare set).

Looks like most of the ship excursions do go to Lovers' Beach. At which location would you say the critter life is better? Is is possible to snorkle to the sea lion colony?

Seriously, the Pirate Ship is good? Not a party ship?

BurBunny:
Thank you for such a complete report!

Regardless of the water temps, unfortunately I do need weights to free dive. Being genetically endowed with a natural "Mae West", my free dives are made much easier with a few pounds of lead.

No worries on the equipment - I'd never go without my own. Spend years getting it just right for diving just to rent leaky masks and uncomfortable fins/snorkels? Thanks, but no thanks. Hard enough for me to go somewhere without my dive gear, but I can bring my essentials along (though I'll have to remember to transfer them from one suitcase to another the night I get home... hmmm... maybe I'll bring just bring my spare set).

Looks like most of the ship excursions do go to Lovers' Beach. At which location would you say the critter life is better? Is is possible to snorkle to the sea lion colony?

Seriously, the Pirate Ship is good? Not a party ship?

Going backwards: Yes, it's possible to get plastered on the Pirate Ship, but that doesn't seem to be the intent. There are other ships (Jungle Cruise, if I recall), where the intent is to get plastered, but it's possible not to :wink: We did a Pirate Ship sunset cruise, not snorkel; it was very nice. They told us that when they do a snorkel, they just go to Lovers' Beach & local rocks, so you have more time to snorkel. We did an Oceanus snorkel trip & an Oceanus sunset trip; both very nice, but the Pirate sunset was more fun (yo, ho, ho! avast! aarrrr!) The Oceanus snorkel goes to Chileno. We did a catamaran snorkel to Santa Maria (Princesa catamaran, I think). Nice, but not nearly as good. Our kids got kind of seasick on the Princesa.

If most of the excursions go to Lovers' Beach, I'd run away (or swim away :D )

It is possible to swim from Lovers' Beach to the sea lion rock, but you'll have to deal with some good surf. It's an easier swim to get to Pelican Rock, and the critters at Pelican Rock are just as good. You'll have slightly better critters at Lovers' Beach than at Playa Escondida, but you'll also have crowds, and interesting surf. Your choice.

If you take one of the faster boats to Santa Maria or Chileno (typically, only Oceanus & the zodiac boats seem to run to Chileno), you'll also have a nice experience, esp. if you're on the early boat. The later boats dropping you at Santa Maria or Chileno are, umm, obscenely crowded. When we were there, we'd take the kids to Santa Maria or Chileno; arrive 10-ish, have a good time, then, around 11, the first snorkel boat would arrive (more so Santa Maria, as it's closer to Cabo). That'd be fine. Then, an hour later, another 2-3 snorkel boats would arrive. Time to go!!!

Now, I don't swim very strongly, so I like being positive when snorkeling. (Get a bit of a buoyancy assist when you need to breathe :wink: ). And I don't really like having 25+ other folks getting in the way. Or being told "good snorkeling in the rocks to the north. Have fun, but when you hear the boat whistle, come back, or else, you hitchhike back to the marina!" So, my personal preference would be either a small tour (like a zodiac, with like-minded folks), or a "on-your-own" trip.

I know you said you were going to have a weeks' diving in La Paz later, but why not do a 1-2 tank trip in Cabo too? The rental gear is pretty decent, if you don't want to pack your own.

You're a wealth of information. Really appreciate it!

After all that, turns out I'm going to have to drag my dive gear with me on the ship, so will do some diving in Cabo. Have names of operators which I've been wanting to try there, so should be set. Too bad I can't have Cantamar pick up my equipment in Cabo when I come through so I don't have to haul it back down on the plane (and thus saving me $50 in overage fees...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom