Snorkeler hit-and-run, Boca Raton, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DelrayDM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The story will be on channel twelve news, West Palm Beach tonight, September 6.

They said it might make the earlier news this evening, but to expect it at 11pm. The TV reporter told me that the snorkeler is expected to survive.

Do not ask me for any other information, I have none. I only know this much because the news crew showed up at a dive shop (unrelated to the incident*) right after I walked in. They went there to get general information about snorkeling, flags, etc.

*Apparently the only shop open in the area on Labour Day.

Last edited:
Snorkeler recovering from hit-and-run accident - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com
BOCA RATON, Fla. -- A snorkeler is recovering from injuries sustained in a hit-and-run boating accident in the waters off of South Inlet Park in Boca Raton.

Police identified the victim as 22-year-old John Deleonibus, who was snorkeling Sunday in about 10-feet deep water when a 25-foot boat with a blue stripe crashed into him and kept going. Deleonibus was taken to Delray Medical Center with serious injuries.

The boat never stopped. Authorities were looking for the boat Monday. Witnesses said several people were on the boat at the time.

It was not known if Deleonibus had been floating a divers-down flag. Such flags are required by state law for divers and snorkelers so others can easily spot them in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom