Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, for sure there are types of dives where it can make sense to use a snorkel. And other types where it doesn't. I can't think of a shore dive for a good many recent years where I've needed to use a snorkel to conserve air. I just don't go that far out. But, on rare occasions I have found myself further out than I desired (due to tidal conditions), and did use the snorkel to surface swim back in during chop. Probably on the first of 2 dives, so I could conserve air in the same tank for the second dive.

I look at it this way, it's up to the diver. Just like a motorcycle rider doesn't need a helmet, but can wear or if they prefer.

I use my snorkel on every dive. Love to save my air till needed and swimming with my face in the water on my belly is much more interesting than looking at the sky. It's easier to just lift your face out of the water to see where you are going.

I put my kit on and off in the water because of my age and the high freeboard on my sailboat and having the snorkel makes those tasks much easier.

If I lived in NZ like you with great visibility I probably would use my snorkel more often to swim face down and enjoy the views. But I live in New-England (US) where visibility varies from 0 to 10 feet so surface swim is more enjoyable on your back... You get to look at the seagulls and surroundings. :acclaim::nyah:

If I lived in NZ like you with great visibility I probably would use my snorkel more often to swim face down and enjoy the views. But I live in New-England (US) where visibility varies from 0 to 10 feet so surface swim is more enjoyable on your back... You get to look at the seagulls and surroundings. :acclaim::nyah:
I tend to circle when I swim on my back, if there is nothing on the horizon to look at. Which happens quite often in shore diving.

I tend to circle when I swim on my back, if there is nothing on the horizon to look at. Which happens quite often in shore diving.
I thought it was common knowledge that it was possible, but apparently not. So I'll let you in on the secret: It's possible to occasionally turn your head around to see where you're going. Not unlike what's commonly done when rowing.

It works for me, at least.

I swim on my back on the surface (with a snorkel in my pocket), as the visibility in NorCal waters prevents seeing much. However, I dive with folks that do enjoy looking around thru the algae, and some of them permanently wear snorkels. It would annoy me -- not even worth it to me --

But to each their own, which I agree should be the theme for snorkels.

BTW, while I dont swim in giant aimless circles on my back, I do often find myself going off track and need to correct -- sometimes when I put my head down to relax (turning around often to check your direction can be a literal "pain in the neck"), or when I put my head down and power stroke.

Wont convince me to swim face foreward, but it is a drawback to swimming on my back.

As Yoda said about snorkels in Star Wars :

"Snorkel ,tool it is
use it use it not
choice it is
choose wisely"

Yeah, but did Yoda use a snorkel?

We've already confirmed that Hitler used a snorkel, so it would be interesting to see what the light side of the force used.

Yoda-Snorkel-Kids-Yellow-for-Web.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom