Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprised Godvin's Law is not working. Did Hitler dive with a snorkel or not?!

Why are people arguing and insulting over opinions.

Cant agree more. That last comment was really uncalled for. IMO, in many cases, use of a snorkel really comes down to a personal preference based on an evaluation of the level of risk, and its really pointless to insult anyone over that choice.

maybe Hitler dived with a snorkel, but I bet you Stalin banned all use of snorkels, and sent proponents of snorkels to ice-dive in Siberia (adding insult to injury, as there's not much use for a snorkel!)

This is an old and tired discussion that I have seen in almost every scuba related discussion platform. For every person that says it is a bother to carry, there is another with a personal anecdote of why they are necessary. It all boils down to a personal choice.

I always carry my fold-able snorkel with me in my pocket on all my dives. Never on my mask unless I really need it. If I have a long surface swim, I find it much easier and more efficient to kick out on my back. But there have been a few times where I was happy to have it in my pocket and able to use it. My concept is that I prefer to have it even if I don't use it than to need it and not have it!

I always carry my fold-able snorkel with me in my pocket on all my dives. Never on my mask unless I really need it. If I have a long surface swim, I find it much easier and more efficient to kick out on my back. But there have been a few times where I was happy to have it in my pocket and able to use it. My concept is that I prefer to have it even if I don't use it than to need it and not have it!
Agree with your philosophy of better to have it and not need it. I did that for a couple of years with the foldable one. After a while of doing the same old sites I saw which ones had any possibility at all of needing it, and I take it now. Otherwise it stays home and there is more space in the BC pocket for shells.

I think it is everyone's own preference whether or not to dive with a snorkel. I know I always dive with a snorkel, but for me it is a comfort and safety thing. If I resurface to far from the dive boat, I can easily use the snorkel as I swim back to the boat. Also, it is useful on shore dives because you sometimes have to swim quite a distance before you descend, and you wouldn't want to use your air up just getting to the site.

However, I have been on many dives where my dive buddy does not use one. Again, it goes back to a personal preference.

I use my snorkel on every dive. Love to save my air till needed and swimming with my face in the water on my belly is much more interesting than looking at the sky. It's easier to just lift your face out of the water to see where you are going.

I put my kit on and off in the water because of my age and the high freeboard on my sailboat and having the snorkel makes those tasks much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom