Snorkel redux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Fellow (and Fellowette) Divers,

Sometime ago we discussed the value of carrying a snorkel whilst scuba diving. I confessed to having abandoned mine due to the discomfort of having it attached to my mask strap (as well as having experienced having my masked stripped off by a diver inadvertantly kicking my snorkel).

Well, the usual sh_t hit the fan as all sorts of folks threatened me with the dire consequences of diving w/o a snorkel lest the Perfect Storm arise after I ran out of air and before I was picked up by the dive boat. Then someone mentioned a folding snorkel that can be tucked in a pocket and that sounded interesting.

How-some-ever, I saw something in Hawaii that I think I will try: a regular snorkel tucked in the BC pocket that is just next to one's tank. Actually, the snorkel had a bit(about two inches along the length of the snorkel) of velcro wrapped around it, made more secure with a ubiquitous wire tie. The pocket was the one that an extra wt slides into; it had the "other half" of the velcro sewn into it. The user/inventor has used this system for years w/o problem.

Since the snorkel is colinear with the tank, it is not in the way. If you need it, you just reach back and slip it out. Added advantage: one is not taunting the Gods of Scuba by not carrying a snorkel... Well, we will probably give this a try since it seems harmless--and potentially useful.

Joewr

I lost my snorkel early in scuba life... Ikinda felt like it was the remnants of some pre-certification umbilical cord that quickly rotted off after I got my temp card. This view was encouraged by those that I am diving with. I like the way this insurance snorkel storage set up sounds. If you get some pictures of a working model, please share.

I have always had a snorkel and never had any entanglement problems a la mask strap that I can recall. And if I did, they must have been solved relatively easily or they would have left some kind of impression (much like that first dive in the frigid waters of Canada, eh?!).

There have been numerous times I have used the snorkel, and I guess I'm just so used to it that it would seem strange to dive without one.

Besides, if the PADI Police caught me without one they might drum me out of the Instructor corps, 'cuz it's a "mandatory" piece of equipment. :wink:

~SubMariner~

As macho as I am in normal life :D, I carry a snorkel even at risk at hearing the dreaded "Wimp in the water" by the more macho divers.

Hey, I dive with a back inflated BC. I spend my time on the surface face down. Surface Snorkel = more Bottom Time. I'm really interested in any way to develop a removeable snorkel technique.

I'm a snorkel user from way back... when I first started diving, no one had more than one tank, so air was truly precious... we'd snorkel on the surface until directly over our site, take about five deep breaths, then kick like hell for the bottom, only taking that first breath from the tank when well under water. Likewise, upon surfacing we made an immediate switch to the snorkel, so we could get a little more bottom time out of that one tank. No such thing as a power inflator then. And so I feel a little naked without my snorkel in open water.
I also use it a lot while working on the surface with students.
I don't wear or carry a snorkel when caving, but I do carry one along in a pocket on wreck penetration dives in the open ocean.
Rick

One Caveat.. the instructors present when we had the discussion about them did mention that they "had" to wear them while teaching classes....

Whether or not I take a snorkel on my next dive may depend on the conditions and activities anticipated. While doing some u/w data collection recently, I got into a tight spot in a surgy area, and my snorkel got caught in a sea palm (looks like a little palm tree with a "trunk" as thick as a broomstick.) Anyway, it unseated my mask, and I had to feel around for the point of connection on the side of my head to free myself. I won't wear the snorkel there while doing that again. Generally, though, I think it is better to have it than wish you did. I have heard that in Laguna Beach, lifeguards have been known to give divers a hard time/citations for diving without one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom