Snorkel location other than your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All i can conclude from that is (i) you have extremely odd anatomy and shape (ii) Extremely poor dive skills or (iii) lying.

If you cant breathe without taking in salt water on the surface then you really shouldnt be diving. Its a problem that affects nobody else at all.

Odd how you have this massive problem and nobody else does even in rough sea areas. You'll find the ocean is also bigger than a 15cm bit of plastic tube too but you seem to be ignoring this.

OK, so it isn't every single breathe. But I have no reason to lie and it's pretty outrageous to suggest that I would. Why would I care what you believe? We disagree, we always will. That does not translate to my being a liar.

There's not a diver in the world that hasn't swallowed sea water at least once - unless they dive bathtubs or fresh water.

I know the snorkel isn't infinitely long. I also know is has a drain and I learned long ago how to purge it.

Tell you what! You dive your way and I'll dive mine. We won't bother to try to agree. You may continue to consider me a liar. I'll not post my opinions of you.

Richard

Normally leave mine at home, but if I might be on the surface for a while (live boat pickups or the like) then I can be persuaded to tuck one into my knife strap (strapped to my calf).

Sounds like you might be in that transitory state right between carrying a snorkel at all times and ditching it altogether... ;-) Been there, done that.
In the meantime, I have found this folding snorkel pretty worthwhile. It rolls up neatly in its little shell and isn't much bigger than a fist.
Aqua Lung Sport Nautilus Folding Travel Snorkel 1000342 with reviews at scuba.com
At this particular link, it is way overpriced, I think I paid something like 20 bucks for it at Sport Chalet.

I cannot speak for other wing/BP divers but I find swimming on my back much more efficient on the surface than face down with a snorkel. When I sometimes dive with no stink'n BC and I suspect I might be doing some surface swimming I might, might, take a snorkel with me if I feel like it as I often still prefer back swimming even without my wing/BP.

Swallowing seawater can be a problem every now and then I will feel a little squeamish after a nice gulp or two but frankly, it is just a non issue with me, I am in the ocean, I know I am going to swallow some water, really just don't let it bother me to much.

I just got me a brand new 1960s simple J tube USD snorkel on ebay. I got a Nemrod purge snorkel, also from the 60s, it is like three feet long, lol, not really but it is long, I bought it at Montgomery Wards.

N

I have one zip tied under the wing of my BC for the extremely unlikely occurance that I get left at sea by the boat and have to swim a few miles in to shore. If/when I need it I'll use my line cutter to cut the zip ties.

Which is why a snorkel there is useless. Don't overweight yourself, inflate your jacket, float happily and high. If the waves are >10cm a plastic tube is useless anyway.

Yeap... and that's why the best place to put my snorkel is inside my diving bag! :D

I put mine under my wetsuit. I have a shorthy and I usually put in under the wetsuit in my leg. It is out of the way and it does not go anywhere.

I attached mine to the mounting holes on the left side of my plate using velcro. Comes free with a tug, then I can clip it to my mask if needed. Otherwise, you'd be hard pressed to even notice it there under my wing.

This is a great idea - I might actually take mine out of the closet and give this a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom