Snorkel location other than your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you need something in your mouth when floating at the surface.
I have my tongue and it doesn't get in the way of talking with my buddies (well, not in the way very often) as we swim out or just lounge around.

One time in Key Largo the Snorkel Police caught up with me and forced me by twisting my arm and water boarding me until I relented and took a snorkel with me--I stuck it through my swimsuit. I also had a single two pound weight on my waist strap, that would not do, they said I had to have a weight belt. So I took the 2 pounds off and tossed it in my bag and wore a belt with no weights.

N

One time in Key Largo the Snorkel Police caught up with me and forced me by twisting my arm and water boarding me until I relented and took a snorkel with me--I stuck it through my swimsuit. I also had a single two pound weight on my waist strap, that would not do, they said I had to have a weight belt. So I took the 2 pounds off and tossed it in my bag and wore a belt with no weights.

N

I'm assuming you are serious about this as I have read many of your replies elsewhere so...

What's the deal with 'snorkel police' or and other kind of equipment requirement? I have never been to Florida and my experiences around California are limited. I have made a series of charter dives around Catalina but my gear was more or less standard for the times so there would have been no question. At Monterey, for the locations I have visited, there's nobody checking anything but I haven't done a charter boat dive.

Are charters or municipal agencies really checking equipment?

Richard

I came across 1 charter in key large that kept telling me i had to bring and wear a snorkel. I just went 100m up the road to a more sensible operator and gave them my money instead.

rstofer:
But, one way or another, you need something in your mouth when floating at the surface

What is your reasoning behind this? I prefer to have nothing in my mouth so I can talk to my buddy. I can be waiting 15min+ for the boat to come get me. Boring to sit around not being able to talk. Even in rough seas I have never had a problem with swallowing seawater. If the seas were that rough that I was struggling to breathe then I am not sure a snorkel would help though I have never tested this theory :wink:

Anyway, to the question the OP asked, the main thing I have seen is rollup snorkels in people's pockets and also ones duct taped to their legs. If I for some reason had to take a snorkel with me diving that could not be rolled up in my pocket I would try to stick it to my leg. Maybe velco straps or duct tape (actually probably be the latter as I do not take my snorkel usually and wouldn't need anything fancy).

What is your reasoning behind this? I prefer to have nothing in my mouth so I can talk to my buddy. I can be waiting 15min+ for the boat to come get me. Boring to sit around not being able to talk. Even in rough seas I have never had a problem with swallowing seawater. If the seas were that rough that I was struggling to breathe then I am not sure a snorkel would help though I have never tested this theory :wink:

I don't like swallowing seawater every single time I take my regulator or snorkel out of my mouth.

If I have to talk, I'll remove my snorkel but talking is overrated. I dive to get away from people, not to socialize. I don't do socialize.

And I have been in rough seas and we debated this issue just last week where I posted a link to the Coast Guard rescue divers ALWAYS wearing a snorkel. If anybody knows how to survive in the ocean, those are the guys.

Now, I realize that there are many experienced divers that have given up on their snorkels. I also realize this is a new diver forum where some of the more advanced ideas may not be entirely appropriate. I also realize I will never convince anyone to wear a snorkel except my grandson who is a true believer. Right after he forgot the "keep something in your mouth" rule he became an evangelist. He doesn't like saltwater either.

It doesn't matter to me how other people dive. I have my ways and I very seriously doubt I will ever change. I am considering a fold up snorkel (I have 2) but I haven't made the change. I may not...

It's one of those personal preference things. I prefer to avoid swallowing seawater.

Richard

Before this thread drifts too far into mouth full/mouth not full territory :D I'll answer the original question by saying I keep an Edge folding snorkel in the left pocket of my BC. That helps remind me of which side of the mask to hang it on if I need it. :blinking:

I don't like swallowing seawater every single time I take my regulator or snorkel out of my mouth.

If I have to talk, I'll remove my snorkel but talking is overrated. I dive to get away from people, not to socialize. I don't do socialize.

And I have been in rough seas and we debated this issue just last week where I posted a link to the Coast Guard rescue divers ALWAYS wearing a snorkel. If anybody knows how to survive in the ocean, those are the guys.

Now, I realize that there are many experienced divers that have given up on their snorkels. I also realize this is a new diver forum where some of the more advanced ideas may not be entirely appropriate. I also realize I will never convince anyone to wear a snorkel except my grandson who is a true believer. Right after he forgot the "keep something in your mouth" rule he became an evangelist. He doesn't like saltwater either.

It doesn't matter to me how other people dive. I have my ways and I very seriously doubt I will ever change. I am considering a fold up snorkel (I have 2) but I haven't made the change. I may not...

It's one of those personal preference things. I prefer to avoid swallowing seawater.

Richard

Sure, if I swallowed water without something in my mouth I would wear a snorkel too, so I understand your position. I don't get water in my mouth so don't wear one. I am all for personal comfort so don't care if other people want to wear snorkels or not :wink:. My buddy, for example, loves his snorkel and uses it any chance he gets. He used to insist I needed one too and because I refused to wear it, he would carry it around for me :rofl3: We have constant (good-natured) arguments about the merits of snorkels :p

I carry a snorkel tucked out of the way between the back-inflate bladder of my Seaquest Balance BCD and the fabric that is adjacent to the back when the BCD is worn. When the BCD is in use, the bladder more or less covers the snorkel.

I hand stitched two bungee loops to the outside edge of the left shoulder weight pouch. The snorkel is pushed up through the loops and kept from falling out by a third, adjustable bungee loop. I drilled a small hole in the outside, upper corner of the plastic BCD plate that provides lower back support and the loop goes through this hole. A thumb-forefinger squeezable clamp on this loop limits the size of the loop around the snorkel.

This whole arrangement is extremely convenient. I can reach the mouthpiece of the snorkel with the nearest hand and pull the snorkel out of its storage place very easily. Note that I obtained a clip that allows it to be attached easily to the mask strap. My wife, who is very conservative on these matters, finally decided that she liked my arrangement better than wearing a snorkel she rarely ever uses. So, I modified her BCD to accept a similar snorkel placement.

Attachments

• Snorkel_BCD.JPG
    Snorkel_BCD.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 112

If you're swallowing salt water every time you take a reg or snorkel out of your mouth then quite honestly you're doing something massively wrong with your technique, kit and/or weighting.

For safety reasons we don't allow anyone to dive off our club boat if they're wearing a snorkel on their mask. If they want to take one they're discourage but stuffed in a pocket if they need a crutch. Trainees i dont allow to take one at all (non padi).

There's a reason coastguard rescue "divers" wear snorkels - they dont have dive gear, don't have buoyancy compensators and aren't actually going diving. They're swimmers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom