Snorkel length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigsnowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
Who makes the longest snorkels? I find that with a snorkel I have borrowed, when looking down, I have a tendency to get water in the top from it being too low. I don't remember that years ago with other snorkels.

Ideas?

Snorkel length may not be the problem. There is not much point in having a longer snorkel as the pressure differentials make it impossible to draw air through it if you go much deeper than a standard snorkel. It may be a problem with the snorkel positioning. Try pushing the snorkel back further to your ear and it may help. I think it may be your technique as opposed to snorkel length. I mean everyone knows size does not matter.

A good snorkel is 30 to 35 cm ( around 15 inches ) long. And has a diameter off 3/4 to a inch.
If it is larger than 35 cm, than the snorkel would be verry hard to clear.
Even the longer or the more airspace the snorkel has the more C0² will last in that snorkel.
That would be called dead airspace, when you breath in and out nothing off that dead airspace will be used for exchange too suplied O² to your tissues. Even in your body you have dead airspace that would be counted up with your snorkel dead airspaces.

Related to this would be hypercapnia to read.

Hopephully This says enough for the reason you ask the question. Because you can write allot about this toppic.

greetz

I can't remember where, but I recall reading something about a maximum snorkel length allowable by either law or industry standards (I can't even remember which country it was from). It was to prevent lung injuries by trying to suck through a snorkel when the pressure is too great for most people, and of course the refresh rate that 'N2-O2 Diver' mentioned.
I can't remember the length, but I it was very close to the length most are anyway. I doubt you'll find an especially long snorkel anywhere.

Maybe a 'dry' snorkel would help?

mojave.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom