Snorkel: Left or right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver:
Which is the correct side? The right or the left side?

Left.....2nd stages run on the right.........

diver 85:
Left.....2nd stages run on the right.........

You are correct. For those of us who run our 2nd stages on our right side, the snorkel goes on the left side of the mask. (Actually, I wanted to get a reply from the first poster.)

However, when I learned to snorkel, in the days before single-hose regulators were popular, I was taught to put my snorkel on the left side of the mask.

tridacna:
So how many people you see with their snorkels hooked up on the wrong side before a dive? And....do you ever tell them to correct this?

I'm not the snorkel police, if it's on the wrong side I just let it be, if they want to wear it on the left who am I to judge.

somewhereinla:
Yes, most snorkels are angled to be used on your left side.

????? How can that be??? I have been around the sport for over 27 years and every snorkel that I have owned (or family have owned) are all the same, the bend goes directly over the mouth piece so that it could be used on either side, you just adjust the mouth piece by twisting it if needed. Scuba divers use it on the left side so it doesn't get in the way of your primary reg. When I snorkel I use it on the right side so it is like a reg. Snorkeling.... your choice.

RoyN:
It should be in the right side on your hand, and when you see some diver you don't like, you wack him/her good. :whack:

If this is true, then how come most of the gold medals in fencing are awarded to left-handers.

I also note that the left handed snorkler seems to be winning in your post :D

Reviving this very old thread only because it comes up on top for google search for "snorkel left or right side," in hope it will help others who might be looking for an answer.

Besides the fact that divers need to have it on the left side as already mentioned, the other important factor is that it depends on the specific snorkel's design. My Cressi snorkel has a clearly asymmetrical mouth piece that points towards the mouth ONLY if the snorkel is worn on the LEFT side. OTOH my old Body Glove snorkel has a "neutral" pointing mouth piece such that wearing on either side should cause the mouth piece to fit the same.

Well put Cannga.

Although.....
My personal opinion is this:
If you're too dumb to figure out the snorkel thing,
you are too dumb to dive.
Again, this is my personal opinion.

Always on a shore dive.
Always on an anchored boat dive.
Rarely on a drift dive.
Sometimes in caverns and caves.

Chug
Loves the sound of muffled screams of cave divers echoing off of the walls of caverns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom