Snorkel in mouth on surface??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
personally, I don't like being told what to do. You should just say "no thank-you." It is, after all, your air.

Damn right, no one should tell you how to dive - ever, unless you are under formal instruction. Liability issues arrise when non-instructors give instruction, bigtime.

A standard problem is somebody descending with the snorkel still in his mouth. I've done it (luckily, my snorkel has a valve that shuts it off if you do this). I always keep my reg in my hand when I've got my snorkel in my mouth -- that way, I can switch quickly if I mess-up!

Yes, I've descended with my snorkel in my mouth....only once. (Learned real quick not to do that again). Good idea to keep your reg in your hand as a reminder.

personally, I don't like being told what to do. You should just say "no thank-you." It is, after all, your air.

Were the waves crashing over your snorkel? If so then putting the reg in your mouth would have been a better choice. If not, then what's wrong with that guy?

yeah,I agree with both these quotes. You were definitely right to now want to and it sound like the dive master was either
  1. Very Inexperienced
  2. On a Power Trip

:wink: Good thing they weren't doing much besides being annoying. I hate it when bossy people get dangerous.

If she had told me that I would have said - what snorkel? The nearest one I own is in Seattle stuffed in a cabinet in the garage in a house I no longer own.

If a DM makes you have a snorkel:
Stick the thing in your pocket. Use it after the dive if you have no air left in your tank.

micknewton:
I like my snorkel. It hardly ever runs out of air.

Breathes very wet deeper than about 6 inches though....

my 2 cents and before everyone starts jumping on the DM's back or setting up a hanging...

scubydu said: all fairly new divers AND he was first in the water

i would think the DM acted prudently... better a relative newbie have a positive airsupply should ANYTHING happen... especially since the DM was probably still on the boat helping the OTHER newbies out

also, maybe "yes" she thought that a newb might go below 6" with a snork rather than a reg w/c might then give the newb some grief or cause newb to use up MORE air coughing

now... scubydu might be miffed to be told to wear the snork? fine, his right. but before everyone condemns the guide to hell maybe we should know FIRST what her reason was...

personally i think the comment that the guide was on a power trip was out of line...

Jag

For boat diving the snorkel is just a nuisance. Shore diving in calm conditions it is just a nuisance. Shore diving in rough conditions it is dangerous. Why do we have them when we have a tank on our back? :D
Not even sure we should use them between dives, I don't know but I suspect it would affect the offgassing. The more tech minded could probably tell us.

victor:
For boat diving the snorkel is just a nuisance. Shore diving in calm conditions it is just a nuisance. Shore diving in rough conditions it is dangerous. Why do we have them when we have a tank on our back? :D
Not even sure we should use them between dives, I don't know but I suspect it would affect the offgassing. The more tech minded could probably tell us.

No, it's unlikely to affect offgassing when used correctly. If you're deep in the water, you would be retaining carbon dioxide, which would increase your breathing rate - But as far as the gas exchange in the lungs are concerned, it's not an issue, as the snorkel don't cause higher nitrogen pressure than .79 bar. The docs on this board might be able to answer if the snorkel would affect nuclei size, which could then affect the dci risk (In the same way as excersise and hot baths).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom