Snorkel compromise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When I first learned to scuba, I faithfully wore the snorkel although I rarely used it. (I think I was afraid of the PADI police. :D ) Then I went years without using it for diving. But lately I've been on long surface swims where a snorkel would be nice and also realized I could be watching the scenery as I swam. So my compromise is this: I made a snorkel keeper out of webbing and velcro that is permanently attached to my mask. I wear the snorkel out and remove it before descending and shove it in my BC belt. After the dive I can choose to use the snorkel or not. Now I am a happy camper!

Many of us have gone that route. I myself carry an emergency pouch on my belt and I have a collapsing/folding snorkel that I keep in there if I should ever need it. The only thing I would suggest you think about is the snagging hazard if you are truly just sticking it in your bc belt. I don't know the type of diving that you do, but dependent on that a snorkel in your belt gives you an awful lot of snagging potential.

rockjock3:
The only thing I would suggest you think about is the snagging hazard if you are truly just sticking it in your bc belt. I don't know the type of diving that you do, but dependent on that a snorkel in your belt gives you an awful lot of snagging potential.
=====================================
That was the reason I went to the roll-up snorkel that fits in my BC pocket. Given the number of times I really end up pulling it out and using it I like the fact that it is tucked out of the way.

'Slogger

I too get good use out of my snorkel but I'd consider what you are doing as a good compromise.

Pete

The best part about your procedure is that at some point the snorkel will fall out of the belt and the problem will be solved permanently. :)

(just kidding above, but losing it from your bc cumberbund is a serious possibility)

My snorkel is a hard semi-dry snorkel, so it stays snug in my belt. It's hard to yank up and out and near impossible to yank down and out.

And yes, it is a snag potential (I often dive in kelp), but it goes down my leg, so it hasn't been a problem yet.

NWBoiler:
Got pics of the DIY keeper? I'd like to see it!

It's not much to look at, but I know a pic is worth a thousand words. If I were making it again, I'd use a zip tie instead of the metal loop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom