Snorkel and hunt for shark teeth in Venice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajen

Reaction score
Since I just found out that I am pregnant, that changes our plans on diving for shark teeth when we head down at the end of this month. Can you snorkel and find shark teeth or
is the visibility normally too bad? If so, what area do you suggest off of Venice beach.
Any other area you can suggest that would be good for snorkeling in the Sarasota area?

Thanks so much!

you can just walk around and dig in the sand and find lots of sharks teeth without ever getting into the water.

We did that last time we were down there.
Hoping to find larger teeth this time around. :yl2jump:

scubajen, congratz on your pregnancy!

Thanks H2 Andy.
Just wish it would have happen after vacation, so I could have dove. Oh, well. My husband and I are both very happy about having a little one.

No doubt. Congrats!! You can find some decent teeth right on the shoreline. If you scoop on the ledge that's right next to the shore, you can come up with teeth of a similar size and appearance to the ones we find out diving (I don't think you'll find any megs, though :)

The ledge is about 6" high, and is sandy in spots, and shelly in spots. Scoop the shelly spots. I've walked away with several dozen using this method before.

I don't think that snorkeling would be very successful. The beds are in 15', and even on a good vis day, would be very difficult (if not impossible) to spot.

Congrats on the pregnancy! Babies are so much fun!

When went to VB the first time Scuba Jenny gave me instructions on how to make a box that you can actually put shovels of sand in. The screen gathers all the teeth. One change I would do to it if you are scooping the sand into in the water is to glue a pool noodle around the rim to keep it afloat. Make sure you have a leash to keep it close!

I do not think the vis would be good enough to snorkel. IT is barely good enough to dive!

Congrats on the preggy.. incidentally, if your interested in learning about diving and pregnancy there were some good discussions in the medical forums last year.

For toothing, the gang has already mentioned the gig for searching along the beach! Maybe we'll see you out there!

Would love to add my advice on finding shark teeth on the shore, but since I can't ever seem to find any myself, hehe, I have a rare disorder called shark tooth blindness. Hehe

When we were there in Dec. my husband found lots of small shark teeth along the beach. He has a better eye for finding shark teeth. Looks like snorkeling for shark teeth is out then.
Is there a good place to go snorkeling though around the area? If I can't dive, I would at least like to snorkel.

Can't wait to be down there! 2 weeks from today! :jump:
You guys are so lucky to live down there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom