sneakers with fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. 5000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have never tried it but is there any performance disadvantage (other than sand) caused by wearing sneakers instead of dive boots. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried diving with a sneaker like the classic converse all star high tops?

Well, I'm not sure if what I had on would classify as sneakers, but I have a pair of New Balance water shoes, which look like tennis shoes but are made to be entirely submursed in water.

I had worn them with me to a destination I though was going to be a cold water dive and had taken my drysuit as well which has built in boots.

The water was so warm I ended up wearing the NB shoes with a 3mm shorty that happened to be in my boat. I had to use them as I had forgotten to take my neoprene booties, but low and behold they worked as just as well if not better than the neo booties as I felt like they supported my foot a little better. I had to use mine out of a lack of options. Turns out that I liked them enough to do it again.

Best of luck to you!

A lot of drysuit divers around there trade their rock boots (or equivalent) for Chuck Taylors. Durable, stylish, smaller foot pockets - I'd do it if it didn't require me to change my fins once more.

I've never tried for wetsuit diving, but if comfort isn't an issue it should work fine.

I know several people who do it, and they like it. (We are talking dry suit here.)

I dove CTs with a wetsuit for quite a while. I used a good pair of polypro socks under them. They worked fine. I have also used them over dry suit socks. I'm amazed at how well the glue in the shoes holds up to being wet.

I say do what you like...

I did it last weekend for the NewBraunfels trashfest and it made walking on the river bank and in shallows a whole lot easier and less squishy. I prefer it to the booties, but I grew up around the river so its kinda standard to me I guess (but I did not wear cut-offs).

High top monochrome black Chucks over neoprene drysuit sock, here.
Ditched the laces, and substituted some 1/8' bungee with cord-locks.
Chucks were a bit large for my Jets, but gave me an excuse to pick up a pair of Hollis F-1s, which I love.

I have a pair of booties in which the sole is so thick and contoured it that they could pass as high top sneakers. I just received them so I have not dove in them.

Back
Top Bottom