smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate the smell of cigars and cigarette smoke: they make me sneeze and my eyes runny. I do wish we could get rid of diesel fumes, but I ain't towing the boat out there by fin power.

Saying that, I quite often overlook those who smoke: who am I to judge? I don't need to alienate others over my prejudices. It's their choice and not mine.

Of course not, I do not think anyone wants anyone elses second hand smoke; this situation is the appropriate time to say: "Oy, bugger off with your nasty self" or some such.

And the reply to yours would be a kick in the *****...a more polite response would be more appropriate after all the smoker isn't doing to be an afront to you.:shakehead:

Originally Posted by adurso
Of course not, I do not think anyone wants anyone elses second hand smoke; this situation is the appropriate time to say: "Oy, bugger off with your nasty self" or some such.

well kinda hard to do this when my hubby is the instructor and the LDS owner is in listening distance :wink:

plus i wouldnt be so confrontational :D

I'm sorry but I just can't get upset about smokers when the boat is full of diesel fumes.

Oh and yes I am a smoker..and I have to just shake my head at those that complain about cig smoke whilst breathing in the exhaust from the boat engines.:shakehead:

However I do go to the back of the boat if I feel the need to light up because that is where the polluting fumes are.:D
As I had said in my post, in "combination with the diesel fumes and seas". I just think that if you choose to smoke then it is only fair to be polite and ask when you are surrounded by non-smokers. Dont you think its funny that more and more restaurants don't allow smoking, why is this??? I am not one to complain about about the smoke its your choice just like its mine to drink. I work in the construction field with many people who smoke, but I won't let them smoke in my truck. Normally while the boat is moving the fumes are not that bad, but when smoking in the confined space of the cockpit the smoke just hanks out.

I'll say one reason why I dont want to see a smoker near me in a dive boat. A lighted cigarette and trilam material dont mix.

wearing a drysuit costing more than a 1000$, I dont wanna see some careless smoker making a hole through my precious DUI suit or my BC bladder or my wing. I've been burned on the arms several times in confined areas by smokers who have no control over their hands, I dont want them near me on a dive boat.

I like a good cigar myself but I smoke it where I wont bother anyone.

Dont you think its funny that more and more restaurants don't allow smoking, why is this???

I think this is because laws are being passed that are trying to protect people from themselves.

If I owned a restaurant, I would want it to be MY choice if I allowed smoking (still legal in the United States to smoke) and not have the choice made for me for a legal activity.

I think this is because laws are being passed that are trying to protect people from themselves.

If I owned a restaurant, I would want it to be MY choice if I allowed smoking (still legal in the United States to smoke) and not have the choice made for me for a legal activity.

^I agree. Infact, many laws don't make much sense. After reading about drugs in my psychology book....according to which, alcohol is a more dangerous drug than cannabis.

are we talking about smoking in general or smoking on a dive boat?

coz if we're gonna read only about smoking in restaurants, I think this thread will belong in the non-diving section.

Dont you think its funny that more and more restaurants don't allow smoking, why is this??? I am not one to complain about about the smoke its your choice just like its mine to drink.

My brother is the manager of one of Portlands top resturaunts, Jakes Grill, which used to allow smoking at the bar area. Within the last year they implimented a no smoking policy at the bar until 9pm. Well guess what ,despite a few complaints from the regulars, the income in the bar area went up by quite a bit. Alot in fact.

And that's a fact jack.:D

Back
Top Bottom