smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Geoff. I don't think that smoking in confined spaces (such as buildings or on dive boats) is fair to non-smokers.

How is being on a boat considered a confined space?

I like the barf idea!

That is considered chum and could bring some more fish hanging around the boat.

Interesting how these type threads go from smoking on the boat makes me sick to how can divers smoke....who cares what other people do. Drink, smoke, be a vegan, be a carnivore..who cares

The big brother attitude that starts to show up in these threads is frightening

I agree. It surprises me too.

Maybe we cigar smokers are just more relaxed then you non cigar smokers are?

Interesting how these type threads go from smoking on the boat makes me sick to how can divers smoke....who cares what other people do. Drink, smoke, be a vegan, be a carnivore..who cares..................

yesterday i got to a dive site nice and early and while sitting, reading my paper, waiting for the boat to arrive one of hubbys students lit up and moved away from his wife/gear and came stood near me smoking

so i moved away and he then decided to take a phone call and pace around me while continueing to smoke

i dont smoke - i dont want anyones 2nd hand smoke either

Interesting how these type threads go from smoking on the boat makes me sick to how can divers smoke....who cares what other people do. Drink, smoke, be a vegan, be a carnivore..who cares

The big brother attitude that starts to show up in these threads is frightening
I agree but there are those that want to control the lives of others and make them conform to their beliefs.:(

What do you disagree with about my statement?
Do you think that scuba diving should only be practiced by the physically elite?

Splain.

No, I don't think that diving should only be practiced by the elite. At the same time, I don't think that diving is for everyone. (as you suggested)

I agree but there are those that want to control the lives of others and make them conform to their beliefs.:(

1. Should diving be encouraged for everybody? No. Diving should only be encouraged for people who can keep themselves safe while diving. My younger brothers are not extremely mature, I would not trust them in spring environments where you can enter caves. I will not encourage diving for them.

2. Why are we suprprised at how many divers smoke? Personally, I'm surprised for several reasons.
-smoking is known to be bad for your health. Yes, I'm aware that soda is also bad, but soda doesn't give you lung cancer. I've had several family members die from illnesses that were likely caused by their smoking for many years, it's very hard for me to condone someone's smoking.
-in my mind, divers should be more physically fit and should care more about their bodies than non divers. Diving can be a sport that requires, eh, work? I would expect people that care about the environement and their bodies to dive moreso than people that do not.
-diving is supposed to be peaceful, nicotine is a drug that people cannot function without once they are addicted to it, it takes a good bit of work to wean yourself of it. If I were a smoker and wanted to quit, I would probably begin doing something that would put me at peace and allow me to relax, like diving.

3. I have never noticed a problem with diesel or gas fumes on a boat. Usually, I am further from the ehxaust systems than from a smoker.

What really rubs my rhubarb are smokers that throw the butt overboard.

And do I want everyone to conform to my beliefs? No! That'd be a miserable world. But what is wrong with wishing that people would stop harming their bodies by smoking, drinking tonnes of soda or never exercising? I am equally against smoking and obesity, but obese people don't usualy envelope me in their fat the way smokers envolope me with their smoke.

yesterday i got to a dive site nice and early and while sitting, reading my paper, waiting for the boat to arrive one of hubbys students lit up and moved away from his wife/gear and came stood near me smoking

so i moved away and he then decided to take a phone call and pace around me while continueing to smoke

i dont smoke - i dont want anyones 2nd hand smoke either

Of course not, I do not think anyone wants anyone elses second hand smoke; this situation is the appropriate time to say: "Oy, bugger off with your nasty self" or some such.

My point is that these threads go from your situation, or the OPs situation, to the how can divers smoke issue; the question in and of itself is not an issue but the attitude of seeming to wish to control others lives; it is no one's business what another chooses to do saving unlawful activity or activities that harm only themselves

Yes that can be a problem in this and many other areas. None of them should be allowed. As long as I don't have to smell your smoke, puff away. Unless it's a huge boat, I can smell it. A dive boat is no place for smoking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom