Smith Lake "goin down"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys,

Greetings by the way. Long time reader, first time poster. I thought I'd chime in on the Smith Lake topic since I was diving there this weekend.

We dove Sunday morning around 12pm from the shore. By that time, boat traffic had muddied up the water pretty good out to about 10ft. Water temp at 25ft was around 84 degrees. Water temp at 38ft was an unbearable 68 degrees. I was only wearing a 3mm full, next time I'll have a hood and gloves.

Visibility was around 8 to 10 ft at best. We basically just followed the contour of the bank at a depth of 25ft. We saw several small bass, a small school of stripe, and my wife saw what she described as the biggest stripe she'd ever seen, she swears it was 20lbs or better, which in Smith Lake, is very possible.

Oh yea, we were diving near the front of Rock Creek, near the dam.

Terry

Yeah, the water is much clearer during the week. And if you can reach a place with rock walls on both sides, even better..

Welcome firefight. Good to have you posting.

Do you dive at Smith a lot? I would not mind meeting up and giving it a try someday. At least while the surface is warm. 10ft vis is not horrible. I can deal with that.

philmottrek99and02:
Brian,
Never happened; interest still there!
Howard

I know I am still up for it. How about you?

RV:
There's all kinds of stuff "dumped" in the lake.. I'd wouldn't be surprised to find a body in one of those cars.

There are walls that drop 200' that I bet would be cool to dive.. I have a map that shows old structures (bridges, cabins, etc) from before the flooding. I'd be more concerned about any possible current and then there's the tree tops.

They had dive flags painted on both sides of the boat too.. I discovered my gps antenna has stopped talking to the unit as of last weekend. I could easily find it again but the place they were diving didn't look like it would be very interesting..

I'm betting that boat was from the local rescue squad or something.

there was an article in the Culman times about 2 weeks ago about how the local rescue squad dove there a lot for recoveries, etc. they were prob doing some informal training. (meaning they wanted to go dive).

(Story for those that are interested http://www.cullmantimes.com/features/local_story_194163114.html)

Back
Top Bottom