Smelly Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikiedfd17

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK - So I have a problem with a nice smelly drysuit. I have a Bare Pro D6 with attached boots and I think my problem was I did a dive with no socks on because boy o boy does that suit smell. The hardest part is trying to turn it all inside out with my wetsuit in order to clean it.

How do people clean their neoprene drysuits? Are there any descent potions to use. Usually I clean my gear (wetsuits and part especially) in my pool where i can turn them inside out, soak them in the chlorinated water, and then hang them out to dry nicely. I'm hesitant to soak my drysuit in my pool.

Let me know any tips/tricks.

Mike

At the end of the weekend of diving I flip the suit inside out,and fill the rubber maid container up with soap and water,and the drive home acts like an agitator with the sloshing back and forth. At home it gets a good rinsing and drying out. Some people use Frebreze,but I really don't know what these chemicals do to neoprene over a long term.

I use AquaSeal brand wetsuit/drysuit shampoo and it works great! Sort of a grapefruit scent to it and it seems to be hypoallergenic (but not really sure about that) as scents trigger migraines for me and this product hasn't. A little bit goes a l-0-n-g way. (one or two small capfuls per gallon of water).
If you've seen my recent thread about my drysuit leaking repeatedly after 2 pressure tests...you can tell I've used this shampoo a LOT!

I have attatched booties on a Diving Concepts suit. Pull your boots inside out as far as you can when drying. The trick is to get some air in there with a fain or open window/breeze. I think this shampoo will get rid of your smelly boot syndrome based on my sadly repetiltive experience.:)

There is also a product called "Sink Stink" that is made to get the smell out of wet / dry suits. I use it on wet suit, booties and gloves when on trips.

TOM

Vinegar works well too, I've recently used it on one of my wetsuits and it's much more effective than sink the stink type products.

I saw a thread here where it got rid of cat piss smell, and if something works on that then it's the best product out there because that's something I didn't think possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom