SMBs recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I do not have experience with this specific SMB, I do own one that is very similar.
My two complaints are : no metal ring to help secure to a spool, and the Velcro strap wrapped around can be difficult to remove under water.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

The one that's $13.99 is a "safety sausage". Notably, it's a fully closed one without an overpressure valve. If you overinflate at depth, it'll burst as it ascends and the air inside expands. Generally these kinds are only useful for inflation once you're already at the surface in order to get somebody's attention. If that's what you're looking for, it should be fine. However, if you're looking for a bag you can shoot from depth, it's not going to meet your needs.

I have all of the HOG smb's in stock. They can be deployed from depth, have a metal d ring to attach to, and are secured with a bungee when rolled.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for all replies, i would really need one where i can deploy at depth...
Even though a lot more money I would recommend the 3 ft Halcyon one. It takes one breath to inflate, which means it won't drag you up to the surface, and since it is smaller it will stand upright while on your safety stops unlike trying to keep a 6 ft bag upright. Plus it easily fits into a pocket pre-rigged to a spool.

I would also endorse the Halcyon bag. We have had six different kinds, and that's my favorite. I really like the inflator valve, with the big metal flange -- it's easy to seal around when your lips are cold. It has a standard, pull-off OPV which can actually be swapped out with a wing OPV, if you have a problem with yours during a dive. They're expensive, as everything Halcyon is, but in this case, I think the price differential is warranted.

I like the look of the Halcyon in the 3-4' range. I'm curious about the semi, and closed circuit design. Does anyone have a good explanation of the benefits of each?

I like the look of the Halcyon in the 3-4' range. I'm curious about the semi, and closed circuit design. Does anyone have a good explanation of the benefits of each?

Semi closed will still have an opening on the bottom to inflate via exhaled gas. It has a one way type of flap and will keep the gas from escaping and will not deflate on the surface. It has an opv built in to prevent bursting on deployment from depth.

The closed one will have to be orally inflated from the nipple or with a low pressure inflater hose. It also has an opv and is completely sealed up with no way to inflate via exhaled gas.

I have two of those "safety sausages" Here is what is good and what is bad

good. small size, easy to carry, and wont get in way. Very noticeable on surface when it first surfaces

bad.. Hard to inflate with cold lips, velcro is a pain, and plastic clip gets in way. I have mine secured with a bolt snap..
It also flops over the sec it gets to surface unless you keep some sort of tension on line.

It does what it needs to. I do a lot of drift diving, in a international river, so the boat traffic can get crazy. I do not like to drag something so boats know where i am, I would rather be incognito until I need to surface. Boaters in my area would just come over to see what that is floating in water.. It is safer for me to stay hidden at depth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom