SMB Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a spool...

Anything more would be a reel I suppose

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Dive Rite Finger Spool _ MonsterMarketplace_com.jpeg
    Dive Rite Finger Spool _ MonsterMarketplace_com.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 290
spool or reel?

View attachment 165605

Halcyon markets it as a spool, but definitely has some reel features.
:eek: its like a spork! it may be a speel or maybe a rool? :p

My trimix teacher taught us this method for sending up an SMB (using a spool) here in a country where pretty much everyone wears bulky dry gloves winter & summer.

I was taught to clip my double ender over the line and hang onto the double ender in my left hand (I'm right handed). Left hand also hangs onto the lip of my smb. Right hand palm up very loosely holds spool. Turn head, exhaust the air from 1 deep breath from uphill reg "whisker" into the SMB and let the SMB go. As the SMB goes up, drop your right hand and the let the spool spin freely 6-15" above your hand. When the spool stops spinning like crazy and starts to drop, grab it. If you miss the spool and it sinks (surprisingly enough this almost never happens) you reel it up from the double ender. Important: You have the line running through the "up" double ender and the "down" end of the double ender tight in your left hand throughout the entire procedure.

* This keeps you from ever getting clumsy dry glove fingers from your right hand tangled in the line as you attempt to hang onto the spinning spool.
* the line runs very freely through upper end of the the double ender and doesn't tangle on your left hand because your hand is gripped around the down side of the double ender - again: no fingers sticking up to get caught.
* Most important => it looks really cool :D The spool hops up and spins all by itself in front of your nose, then drops neatly back into your hand when it's done.

Launching the SMB takes maybe 25x runs to get it pretty much down pat. Consistently being able to easily, smoothly roll the SMB back up and stow it back into your pocket takes...
Well, I'll have to get back to you on that someday.

My trimix teacher taught us this method for sending up an SMB (using a spool) here in a country where pretty much everyone wears bulky dry gloves winter & summer.

I was taught to clip my double ender over the line and hang onto the double ender in my left hand (I'm right handed). Left hand also hangs onto the lip of my smb. Right hand palm up very loosely holds spool. Turn head, exhaust the air from 1 deep breath from uphill reg "whisker" into the SMB and let the SMB go. As the SMB goes up, drop your right hand and the let the spool spin freely 6-15" above your hand. When the spool stops spinning like crazy and starts to drop, grab it. If you miss the spool and it sinks (surprisingly enough this almost never happens) you reel it up from the double ender. Important: You have the line running through the "up" double ender and the "down" end of the double ender tight in your left hand throughout the entire procedure.

* This keeps you from ever getting clumsy dry glove fingers from your right hand tangled in the line as you attempt to hang onto the spinning spool.
* the line runs very freely through upper end of the the double ender and doesn't tangle on your left hand because your hand is gripped around the down side of the double ender - again: no fingers sticking up to get caught.
* Most important => it looks really cool :D The spool hops up and spins all by itself in front of your nose, then drops neatly back into your hand when it's done.

Launching the SMB takes maybe 25x runs to get it pretty much down pat. Consistently being able to easily, smoothly roll the SMB back up and stow it back into your pocket takes...
Well, I'll have to get back to you on that someday.

not sure if I am visualizing what you wrote correctly, but it seems to me that with this method (smb in left, spool in right), that the line would be directly under your regulator while inflating, and if the smb slips out of your hand and takes off prematurely, the line may snag on your regulator.

When inflating, I keep all of the line tight on the spool and smb and spool both in my left hand (double ender is clipped off on my right d ring). Then I hold my regulator out of the way with my right hand and orally inflate (my smb is not open ended).

However, like I said, I may have misinterpreted what you wrote.

For all but the deepest dives you won't need a reel. It's far easier to shoot a yellow bag (on a free ascent to a live boat) from your depth to alert the boat to a problem (so that they'll look for the next bag and know where to pick you up) and then ascend to spool depth and fire the SMB. I have about 160' of line on a standard spool which gives you a reasonable balance between getting the orange marker bag up and not having to futz around with a jammed reel at depth.

It would have to be very condition dependent as to when and where it's appropriate to fire a bag from big depths via a reel (~300ish? in high current?) I can see it being a very real need in places like the Keys or North Carolina wrecks where the currents can rip.

When inflating, I keep all of the line tight on the spool and smb and spool both in my left hand (double ender is clipped off on my right d ring). Then I hold my regulator out of the way with my right hand and orally inflate (my smb is not open ended).

This is also how I was taught. I use my drysuit inflator hose when I'm wearing a drysuit (which is most of the time).

My SMB has an open end and allows for easy oral inflation as well, so my choice of how to inflate is dependent on conditions. Whipping out an octo in very cold water isn't generally the best idea as you're at risk of your reg freezing in free flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom