Smallest Wing and BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got an old-fashioned plastic back-pack with wing off of eBay for $30. I haven't dove with it yet, but it weighs next-to-nothing and packs smaller than a pair of shoes.

I suspect that the plastic backpack may be slightly positive, but I figure I can pick up an extra pound or two once I get to the destination.

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about going a 'minimalist' route, using this set-up exclusively, and selling my Ranger.

3dent:
I suspect that the plastic backpack may be slightly positive, but I figure I can pick up an extra pound or two once I get to the destination.QUOTE]

If the plate is ABS, it's likely very close to neutral.

Tobin

There are trade-offs to be made when you go for the lightest weight BC bladder.
It won't be as tough, and just because it's small, does not always mean it's the most streamlined.

Pictured below are two of Zeagle's most compact bladders:
The first is the 34# all elastic bladder, deflated & inflated. (I didn't take off the weight system or back plate pad for the pic.)
Second is the Stiletto 35# 1000 denier (cordura) bladder, deflated & inflated. (Pictured on a Stiletto BC harness, but it also fits our back plates.)

Both are much more durable than nylon bladders.
Both have two often overlooked and very important features when it comes to streamlining: The winglet clips keep the bladder wings tight to the body when used on single tanks. And the shoulder covers pull the bladders in over the shoulders at the neck, stopping the "basking shark effect" that is common with unatached bladders.

Lift in the 35# range is good to have, if you don't have to add bulk or weight to get it.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom