Small vs Larger Boat in Kona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're trying to decide who to dive with when we go to the Kona coast in a few weeks. I've been a fan of the six pack in the past- not a cattle boat kind of girl. But--on a trip to the keys earlier this year, I had my first brush with sea-sickness, and gained some appreciation for a boat that is a bit larger:wink:
Having never been to Kona, I was wondering how far boats have to travel to dive sites, and if the water gets choppy/rough with great regularity. Any clear advantage to a larger boat in Kona?

Thanks!

Seasickness is a funny thing (OK, it's not funny, I guess unpredictable is a better word). It can hit you one day and not another, and the size of the boat or water conditions doesn't always matter. Over the years I've lost my lunch on a 20 foot boat on a really rough day, and on a 48 foot fishing boat on a not very bad day when someone puked in front of me. I run a 25 footer and have never had an issue on it, but I can barely stand on the Body Glove's 140 passenger catamaran without getting woozy. I've had customers point at the 40 some odd footer Newton next to us and said they puked up their guts on that boat a year earlier and had no problems on mine, and I suspect some that have lost it on my boat have switched to bigger boats and done just fine as well. I had one captain that worked multiple boats tell me his most frequent cleanups were on the biggest boat he worked, he figured it wasn't the motion of the boat necessarily, more that since there were enough people on board that generally someone would get ill then the sympathetic puking would set in.... so who knows.

Kona has lots of good dive sites anywhere from 45 seconds to 20 minutes or so from the mouth of the harbor, as well as further sites that don't seem to get as much traffic as they did back in the days of cheap fuel. I think all of us do two sites, and at least several of the smaller boats will pull into the harbor for lunch if someone's feeling ill to either let them off for the day or get on solid ground during the lunch break long enough to recover for a quick run to the second dive of the day. The seasick episodes generally seem to occur if the boat is sitting at mooring rather than moving, so I suspect most companies will try to motor around between dives for the surface interval if they're seeing anyone that's green in the gills on board.

In general, the water conditions in Kona are pretty good by Hawaii standards, as well as by standards of lots of places. Most companies will try to dive at sites that are shaded from poor conditions... dive to the north of a point if there's a swell or wind chop coming from the south for example. Every now and then conditions sneak up on you, but it's not a rule of thumb. My observation is that the worst of conditions are generally between January and early March, and that's not all the time, maybe a few to several days in any given month during that time.

If you have issues with seasickness, I'll pass along the recommendation I've heard from the majority of dive Captains I've worked with in the last decade - Meclizine hydrochloride (found in Bonine and less drowsy formula Dramamine), one tablet the night before the dive and another about 2 hours before the dive in the morning before day charters, or one in the morning and another about 2 hours before the charter if you are doing an evening charter. This seems to work well. I've seen maybe all of 4 people lose it after following this schedule in 10 years of doing this, while lots of other remedies seem not to work nearly as well. We'll have people losing it on any number of remedies and will talk them into trying this and they do just fine the next day.

I don't think there's any real hard and fast rules, but if a particular type of boat generally sets me off I'd probably try to avoid that type of boat if I could.

Aloha,

I would say that you will likely go outside the harbor and tie up about 100 yards offshore to dive. When I was there in 2004, that's what we did and had a great time. Took less than 15 minutes to get to the first dive site.

Yes, the dive sites from the Kona harbor are not far at all. We dove the old Kona airport, and another one just south of that last January and we couldn't have been more than 300 yards from shore on the second (further) dive. In fact, when we dove the airport, I swam to the rock face where the waves were crashing into the shore...

I was in Kona last month, good diving, I suggest the Manta Ray Night dive, this shop was very helpful and Kona's diving is on the leeward side of the Island, so mostly small surf.

Hona Honu Divers have a great Manta Ray Night dive, see there web site.

Arris

where are you staying, as I'd recommend basing your decision partly on that. Closest isn't necessarily better, of course, but I'd at least weigh that in your decision-making. I stayed in one of the resorts north of the airport, so driving to one of the dive shops actually in kailua-kona would have been almost an hour for me.

I heard, as a fact, that the Kona Honu Divers boat has warm showers for the chilled diver. This is a new added feature for diving on their larger vessel. The numbers of divers are small for all operations in Kona , so no large groups. Some operators will take the reservation over the phone and may cancel at the last minute due to insufficient numbers. Divers should call in advance to book so that the boats have numbers to complete the charter. One thing you must keep in mind for comfort is how many square feet per diver/snorkeler you will have on a vessel. Plus there is a head on the boat as well.
Another point to consider is, many new operations have started up so if you are looking for a deal, be prepared...you get what you pay for.
Keep the money in the USA...support our economy and TROOPS! No PASSPORTS!

Jack's boats have hot water on their boats as well. Very nice to hose down with after a dive........

We were there 2 weks ago and we used Big Island Divers. We were very pleased. I think there were only 8 of us on the boat. And yes....the manta night dive is a must!

When I dove Kona April of 08, I did several dives on a small boat out of the Mauna Lani. Rides were fairly short, only one day was choppy, which might affect someone who gets seasick. I also did the Manta Ray night dive with Kona Hanu on their bigger boat, which was smoother, particularly on the longer ride back from the Sheraton site that we did. So I enjoy both types of boats. And I look forward to returning to Kona!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom