Small lamp sufficient for night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
Looking for a small lamp strong enough for night dives, reliable, max. tme of functioning about 60 Min., suitable for travelling, i. e. rechargeable or using normal batteries.
All advice will be appreciated, particullarly about the necessary strength of the light.
Yours, Liberty

Without going to the specialty lights, the brightest lamp I have found that uses AA rechargeable batteries is the Ikelite PCa LED. It uses 6 batteries and will run for many hours.

Check out this thread which describes my search for the same thing:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/226205-brightest-led-uses-aa-batteries-night-snorkeling.html

If you are a tinkerer, you can modify a Princeton Tec Torrent LED to put out as much light as many of the much bigger models out there. I am super impressed with my modified Torrent.

Liberty01,

What you mean by "travel" has a lot to do with what you need.

In clear tropical water less is often mode since a robust light will scare a lot away. In less ideal conditions a more significant light may be essential.

Pete

Hi liberty.

I don't know what kind of light you're looking for. A backup that cans do the job as a main light for night dives or a main light (not too big)?

Since you live in germany, maybe you know tillytec. Their w30 is awesome. It's a small backup that can be used as a main light, perfect for traveling. Uses 3 cells (alkaline, lithium, rechargeables...). From 3 to 5 hours burntime at 100 % then something like 10 hours decreasing light.

price: 160 euros.

I rarely see ppl mention them but I've been a big fan of my little UK Q40 led's, used w/ rechargeable AA's, andmy UK Sunlight D8. I'm diving with them in the cold murky stuff in New England and the bright white light cuts through well.

I rarely see ppl mention them but I've been a big fan of my little UK Q40 led's, used w/ rechargeable AA's, andmy UK Sunlight D8. I'm diving with them in the cold murky stuff in New England and the bright white light cuts through well.

BGF, I agree, the Q40 Eled Plus has quite a bit of power for such a tiny light. Couple that with the white light of a led and the fact that you don't have to worry about the bulb unless you flood the light. If you are looking for something just a little larger and with more power the SL4 and SL4 Eled are awesome options as well, they have a nice focused beam that seems to go forever. The SL4's are similar to the torrent but with 4 C cells instead of the 8AA's.

YuccaPatrol, do you have a link to any torrent modding info? It sounds interesting.

My wife and I have the UK SL4 eLED and think they are great. Small enough for travel but really puts out quite a bit of light and seems to last a long time due to the LED technology.

I love my UK lights. Have the C8 and SL4. Both are LED models. SL4 is tiny but very bright. Can be used as a primary dive light as long as the water is clear.

I have a UK Mini Q40 LED that uses 4 AA's. I keep it in my BC pocket on all dives, day or night. Not what most people would typically use for night dives but I will often use it on tropical night dives. It puts out quite a bit of light and the beam is adjustable from broad to narrow. I probably wouldn't use it if I were diving solo or with just my buddy but in groups it is plenty bright enough. Everyone else is usually sporting huge light cannons and there is more than enough light to go around!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom