Question Orcatorch DC710 vs D710 for first dive flashlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I opted for the D710 only because the charging port becomes another location for water ingress and salt corrosion. The battery will last two to three dives easily before needing charged. I have two batteries because chit happens and I forget to charge a battery. Having a charged spare in the SDK save my butt more often than I like to admit.
Yeah, chit does happen. I had a D710 I was very happy with and managed to drop it somewhere on a dive. Out came the Big Blue backup, which I also managed to drop during the safety stop. How? I don't know. There's a reason we carry backups.

It was an expensive dive. I bought a couple more D710s, one as a primary, one as a backup. I don't see a reason to have a different light as a backup if the same one would work. Yeah, there's the cost, but if I don't drop 'em, that washes out over time.

Yeah, chit does happen. I had a D710 I was very happy with and managed to drop it somewhere on a dive. Out came the Big Blue backup, which I also managed to drop during the safety stop. How? I don't know. There's a reason we carry backups.

It was an expensive dive. I bought a couple more D710s, one as a primary, one as a backup. I don't see a reason to have a different light as a backup if the same one would work. Yeah, there's the cost, but if I don't drop 'em, that washes out over time.
Could always get a can light (like a D630) and never drop one again?

My backup light is only there if the can ever dies.

Could always get a can light (like a D630) and never drop one again?

My backup light is only there if the can ever dies.
Where do you put the battery pack? I assume it goes in a pocket or something. Maybe strapped to an arm? I would be using it while drysuit diving in Puget Sound, mostly. It's good and murky most of the time, although it hasn't been too bad lately. Or I'm getting used to it. Also, does the can attach to your wrist or do you hold it like a shovel handle? I haven't seen a light like that yet, but then I only have 30 dives under my belt, with 14 of them in Puget Sound, the other 16 were in Mexico in clear, tropical water with no light necessary.

Where do you put the battery pack? I assume it goes in a pocket or something. Maybe strapped to an arm? I would be using it while drysuit diving in Puget Sound, mostly. It's good and murky most of the time, although it hasn't been too bad lately. Or I'm getting used to it. Also, does the can attach to your wrist or do you hold it like a shovel handle? I haven't seen a light like that yet, but then I only have 30 dives under my belt, with 14 of them in Puget Sound, the other 16 were in Mexico in clear, tropical water with no light necessary.

Well.. I guess everyone is different but most people put the can on the right hip and run the cord across the chest to the goodman handle on the left hand. I have also seen people wear it on the right or even add the can to their cam strap.

I'm not necessarily trying to push you to a can light, but if you're interested I can sell you any brand new Orcatorch light. Or maybe you don't want a can light and that's fine.

For my backup lights I will tie the bolt snap, then soak the knot in super glue then add a zip tie around that.... can you tell I've also lost some lights!

Well.. I guess everyone is different but most people put the can on the right hip and run the cord across the chest to the goodman handle on the left hand. I have also seen people wear it on the right or even add the can to their cam strap.

I'm not necessarily trying to push you to a can light, but if you're interested I can sell you any brand new Orcatorch light. Or maybe you don't want a can light and that's fine.

For my backup lights I will tie the bolt snap, then soak the knot in super glue then add a zip tie around that.... can you tell I've also lost some lights!
I don't have a dive camera yet, but a can light is still intriguing. Maybe by the end of the year.

I don't have a dive camera yet, but a can light is still intriguing. Maybe by the end of the year.
A can light isn't for video. It's just a beefed up (with more battery) technical style light that you can't drop. There's a learning curve to use it, and it might be overkill for your diving.

I have a few people that have bought them for their recreational diving and really like them.

If you're not interested in a can light, then either the D710 or the DGX light would be my next picks. @lexvil has both. Maybe he can chime in.

If you're interested in any Orcatorch lights let me know, I sell them.

A can light isn't for video. It's just a beefed up (with more battery) technical style light that you can't drop. There's a learning curve to use it, and it might be overkill for your diving.

I have a few people that have bought them for their recreational diving and really like them.

If you're not interested in a can light, then either the D710 or the DGX light would be my next picks. @lexvil has both. Maybe he can chime in.

If you're interested in any Orcatorch lights let me know, I sell them.
The D710 is a really good light, I really like the slim profile, very good batteries supplied with them, 21700 is my favorite battery since I haven’t yet encountered junky ones like 18650 or 26650’s but with increased popularity I’m sure they will come.

$ for $ it’s hard to beat the DGX, I have the 8° beam and there is also a 6° beam version and still only $89, buy both as they are a bargain compared to the name brands.

Rob, I could be interested in purchasing a light from you, but I have less than 5 posts, I can’t DM. Can you start the conversation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom