Small (kid) size fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djwang2000

Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts on fins for a 11 year old? My son is 4' 8" and has used the Deep See Splash for snorkeling. He/we are in the process of getting OW cert. Any recommendations for smaller scale fins that don't dwarf him, or is he better of just staying with the snorkeling fins until he grows a couple of inches?

Thanks!

Stick with snorkeling fins for now. They're usually cheaper, smaller, and lighter. You kid will quickly outgrow the fins anyways.

You would probably be better getting rigid paddles. The Deep See Splash look like very short split fins. I don't think even several kicks would produce enough thrust for your kid to push his scuba unit and himself through the water at a decent pace.

The summer programs I work for uses Akona Caicos fins. They do the job perfectly. Very light so they don't hamper the kids legs but rigid enough to give them propulsion. We let kids snorkel on the surface with scuba backplates and Al 40's & Al 19's. If they have the skills to perform a decent fin kick they're usually cruising around very well.

I myself find they do a great job underwater, so long as you stick to flutter kicks. They're really too light for my liking though, but I think they work great for the kids.

Cressi Pro Light's - in fact most Cressi fins come in XS. Cressi Pro Light Fins

I ended up buying a pair of the Akona Caicos fins they are lightweight, and at 21" -- sized just right for my son. BUT -- the straps are terrible -- it's a hard plastic tab that slides in. The straps came loose several times even in the pool. You can tighten the fit by pushing the tabs out, but I'm worried about weakening the tab and having the tab break over time (and perhaps at a very inconvenient time). I'm not so sure about taking these fins into open water.

I took a look online at the Cressi Pro Light fins. So are these fins lightweight or heavy? The scubapro reviews has equal pros for "lightweight" as cons for "heavy" ?!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom