My new guppy and I - Belize Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nashman69g

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We’re planning a trip to Belize, Ambergris Caye) in a about a month. My son (10) has just finished his Jr OW (yea). He is very fresh and needs to have some easy no pressure dives. We have a group of us (11) but but we’re the only 2 certified. What I’d like to know is a recommendation of a DS that knows how to handle young children and does so frequently. He’s small and needs small rental BC too (xxs). I don’t want issues like I had when going through the checkout dives (a story for another time). He’s limited to 40’. I don’t want a large boat as that’s going to not allow us flexibility. I’m probably going to have to a separate dive only trip where the snorkeling members would be able to go.

We’d like to have a boat that the other can snorkel while we dive. I’d like to get him as much experience in nice clear warm waters. We’re only going to be there 7 days. Plus have some inland excursions to plan too.
Shark ray alley and Hol Chan were a couple places mentioned.

I plan to do some dives on my own (not with my group) too so I can do some deeper and at night.
I’ve dove off Placencia a few year back and loved it.

I have been diving since 1999 but am still considered a novice. I have my AOW and Nitrox certs.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I'm not an expert in this area, but to move this thread forward:

Do you expect to need another diver who can keep an eye on your 10-year-old? If not, then I might suggest looking into renting a boat. The next option might be a snorkeling-tour or charter, which also allows divers. I'd expect your average dive-charter is focused on locations and depths that aren't very accessible to snorkelers.

Congratulations on getting your son checked out. I also got my girls certified when they were young and had wonderful trips with them. It has been one of the highlights of my life. You have a lot to look forward to

My youngest daughter lives in San Pedro AC and owns/runs a restaurant. She dives most weekends, and snorkels almost every day after work. If you want, I'll check with her then give you her contact info and you can connect with her when you're there. I'm sure she would love to help yall and maybe yall could get a bit of the local vibe if you'd like.

(She's a fish and takes after her dad - very safety conscious).

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I'm not an expert in this area, but to move this thread forward:

Do you expect to need another diver who can keep an eye on your 10-year-old? If not, then I might suggest looking into renting a boat. The next option might be a snorkeling-tour or charter, which also allows divers. I'd expect your average dive-charter is focused on locations and depths that aren't very accessible to snorkelers.
I’m going to be doing the majority of watching him but would like a DM to be available so he can guide and I can focus on my son.

Congratulations on getting your son checked out. I also got my girls certified when they were young and had wonderful trips with them. It has been one of the highlights of my life. You have a lot to look forward to

My youngest daughter lives in San Pedro AC and owns/runs a restaurant. She dives most weekends, and snorkels almost every day after work. If you want, I'll check with her then give you her contact info and you can connect with her when you're there. I'm sure she would love to help yall and maybe yall could get a bit of the local vibe if you'd like.

(She's a fish and takes after her dad - very safety conscious).
Always looking for any help I can get. A local would be great to get insight from.

I’m going to be doing the majority of watching him but would like a DM to be available so he can guide and I can focus on my son.
It's certainly possible someone has a hybrid snorkel + dive-charter business in the area. However, I expect a problem you're going to run into is the general idea of (to use a metaphor) wanting a sports-car and van at the same time. It's technically possible, but generally a lot more expensive and will never be as good at being either a sports-car or a van.

With snorkeling, you're looking at locations that have nice things to see near the surface (up to 15ft deep), manageable surface-conditions, and so-on. With scuba, we're generally looking at depths and sights not accessible to snorkelers, while also having more specialized equipment and training. Dive-charters are also rather pricey by comparison. A bunch of divers equipping scuba-gear may be intimidating to non-divers, while a bunch of snorkelers might distract divers trying to do safety-checks.

It may be much simpler, less expensive, and a better experience if you and the guppy have dive-trips, but then meet up with the rest of your group for snorkeling and other activities.

We might do a snorkel, then leave them and do scuba on our own. I want to squeeze as much scuba as I can. I figure the first and last day are out (travel day). Plus the day before just to be safe. That leaves 5 days. Minus another day for other tours. So say 4 days. Charters are nice but they add up fast. Just getting wet will be great for both of us. Still don’t mind paying if that what it takes.
Roatan was nice because I could shore dive and hit a reef.

I don’t think where I am that would be possible…but that’s why I’m asking questions.

We might do a snorkel, then leave them and do scuba on our own. I want to squeeze as much scuba as I can. I figure the first and last day are out (travel day). Plus the day before just to be safe. That leaves 5 days. Minus another day for other tours. So say 4 days. Charters are nice but they add up fast. Just getting wet will be great for both of us. Still don’t mind paying if that what it takes.
Roatan was nice because I could shore dive and hit a reef.

I don’t think where I am that would be possible…but that’s why I’m asking questions.
Just looking for an update? My husband dives while I snorkel / free dive. Did you have any luck finding an operator to take you out together?

We did. We used Scuba Daze. It was a few docks down from where we stayed. Great group; Sam(owner) and his group were very helpful. I did 5 dives. 2 @ Mexico rocks(easy shallow area 9-15’). 2@ Hol Chan (night and afternoon 30’ max) and 1 Mata Canyons (the best one of the 5 ; not a snorkel location). The first two are great snorkel locations as well as Shark/Ray alley; my wife and the rest of the non divers loved it!
I spoke with Amigos Del Mar, but they’re a big shop and didn’t give me the flexibility I needed with my group. But it seems most of the shop there are good…I’d recommend going with the one closest to you and that will work with your schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom