Small Intova Back-up light - repair or replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had this little Intova narrow beam for two years, and not a bit of trouble until this weekend. Now the switch doesn't work. It is stuck in low power mode.

I'm no expert, but I see some marks inside that could possibly be a leak from the light end. There seems to be a slight bit of fog inside the lens.:idk:

Is it worth getting repaired, or just toss it and buy another?

---- hates adding to land fills.

I would tear it apart and rebuild it. Then I would upgrade the led emitter to a newer emitter like a r-2 0r lt6 and change the driver to a high low beam one.

It's a $60 light. Not sure it is worth all that.

However, I left it open in AZ air (8% humidity), and it seems to be working. I'm not sure I will trust it much anymore. It might become a backup-backup.

Hi Jax,

If you need a replacement switch, please call us at 877-837-0074 or email kevin@intova.net and we can help you. If water leaked into the LED area, this is a more serious issue and even if the light is working again after drying out, can lead to possible failure in the future. If you want to replace your light, we do have refurbished IMINIs, Supernovas, ICOMs, etc. lights for sale.

Best Regards,
Intova

Oooooh, I like refurbished. :D

The light's at home, and I'm not, so I will get with you when I get back.

Deposit it into the circular file (trash) and get a better light.

I've lost a few ICOMs due to the spring behind the switch weakening. It's characterized by only being able to activate it at depth, and actually I first noticed it on one of them when I tried to use it above ground at about 6000'. Intova's been absolutely fantastic about replacing them. I really like it as a recreational light, but I don't think I'd take it as my only light, even though the failures for me have happened slowly and predictably.

Deposit it into the circular file (trash) and get a better light.

Some of us are loathe to add to the land fill. It's a good backup light, and will make a good flashlight if I choose to not dive with it.

As was pointed out in another thread, you can scrap the guts and put your car keys in it while diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom