Question Full wide angle photography set up advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phenymo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After many years of using a GoPro and TG6 (and M4/3 on land...), I feel it's time to invest in a new complete set up.

Currently I do mainly cave/mine/wreck diving in fairly deep cold waters so looking for something that can handle low-light wide angle, is easy to travel with and can take a bit of "abuse". Almost no interest in macro, and only very occasional video work.

After a lot of research, it seems full frame is the way forward. I have reasonable experience with m4/3 on land, but my bodies are pretty old and no housings are available anymore, so thought I'd use this opportunity to switch things up.

I have narrowed down to the Sony A7 IV, with the 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens to start with. Alternatively I was thinking the A7C could be better for travel, but the smaller body and reduced buttons / wheels might make usability a bit frustrating. And according to rumors A7C II might be coming soon (should I wait?!).
  1. Is there a big size / functionality difference once in the housing between the A7 IV and A7C? Seems a trade off between usability or smaller size.
  2. Is the 28-70mm lens wide enough for cave / wreck wide angle? This, this & this is the kind of photo I would like to capture. According to Nauticam's port chart, with the kit lens I can only use the N77 Flat Port.
    Would this be sufficient for wide angle or should I step up and get wider glass like the 12-24mm f4 or 16-35 f2.8?
    This is a significant increase in price overall and would mean investing in a 180mm or 230mm dome port which sounds like a nightmare to travel with.
Most of my housing research has been on Nauticam - but should I consider other brands? I do occasionally require >60m depth rating so that rules out a few others like Ikelite...

I have a few 10,000+ lumen video lights I use for scene lighting, but am also planning to grab a pair of Inon Z330 strobes.
Unless the extra flash power (and cool factor :wink: ) of a pair of Retra Flash Pro X is worth the additional money?

Anything else I have overlooked or should consider?

This is a big investment, so would appreciate any advice / direction.

Thanks a lot!!

Consider the A7C and WWL-1....I don't know of any cave pictures that would not be easier/better with a good, real wide-angle, just because of lighting constraints and space considerations.

Consider the A7C and WWL-1....I don't know of any cave pictures that would not be easier/better with a good, real wide-angle, just because of lighting constraints and space considerations.
Thanks for the response. I am trying to work out if I can use the WWL-1 with A7 IV 28-70. Looking at the port charts they do not list WWL-1 as an option for any configuration with this camera?

The 28-70mm is not, by any stretch of imagination, a wide-angle lens underwater, not behind a flat port anyway. The photos you have linked appear to have been taken with a fisheye lens - on Sony platform, you'd be looking at Canon 8-15mm f/4 or Sigma 15mm f/2.8 on a Canon EF to Sony E adapter (Metabones, Sigma MC-11). For a more versatile (if not as wide at the extreme) setup, consider the Sony 28-60mm f/4-5.6 - it can be used with the Nauticam WWL-1 lens for 130 degrees diagonal angle of view at the wide end and 69 degrees at the narrow end; if you remove the WWL-1 underwater, you get a 75-40 degree AoV range. If you add a CMC-1, you can shoot macro at up to 0.9x magnification with the same lens.

I know it runs counter to the lemmings going to full frame but the Olympus OM has a better selection of wide angle and fisheye lenses and can also use the WWL-1. And mostly the same for Nikon and Canon APS. Sony APS cameras will need the Metabones adapter for the Tokina fisheye zoom or settle for the WWL-1, which is what I did.

I've been using a Nikon D800 in an Aquatica housing with Ikelite strobes for years, but at some point I'll get a Nauticam housing and use it with my Z7 or new Z72. I always use my old, circa 2004 Nikkor 20mm lens. Most all of my u/w images have been made using this set-up or what I had previous. (Older DSLR bodies)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom