Small Hope Bay, Andros- anyone been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverswifey

Contributor
Reaction score
I have looked at SHB quite a few times over the years then ended up booking something different because it always seemed like the airfare from here made the cost of the trip more than I wanted to spend.... back to considering it again as we have been in and out of the Bahamas twice during covid and it was relatively low stress.
Can anyone give me some feedback on the diving?
Thanks for any info !

Bump..nobody? Was thinking about doing something non-LOB next and remembered reading about this in Rob's book.

I was there about 5-6 years ago. I liked the SHB operation, but the coral in the area was pretty much all dead, and the only fish out in good numbers were the lionfish. They served excellent conch fritters each evening during happy hour.

Thanks..I was kind of worried about that..

You don't like conch fritters?
That part sounds amazing, but the reef health not so much. Looks like the kind of place you could kick back on an old beach chair with almost nobody around and get well acquainted with a good paperback and a bottle of rum. Hmm...maybe the diving isn't so important after all..

One of the things I liked the most was the meal seating. It was cafeteria style, sit where you want. We had some great conversations with some very interesting people.

Saw the replies and wanted to throw in my 2 cents to you, O-ring. We are headed to San Salvador, Bahamas in late May for a week at Riding Rock. We have been to the out islands of the Bahamas many times over many years but not on diving trips so I am crossing my fingers that my diver husband will enjoy it- staying at Riding Rock which has been family owned for 50 years and is dedicated to divers- small place like SHB but it is much more affordable... we are flying through MIA on AA to Nassau but the only flight a day to SS is via Bahamasair with a late afternoon schedule which allows you to get there in one day- coming back is the turn around so we will overnight in Nassau (done that before several times on out island trips). RR is all inclusive of meals and diving. If you are interested in a land based trip, you might want to take a look.

Thanks! I'll look forward to hearing how your trip went.

There is a nice, detailed trip report about Small Hope Bay Lodge as the lead article in the April 2022 Undercurrent. You need to be a subscriber to access it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom