Small Digital Camera for ex 35mm user?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaac-1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for a good small general purpose digital camera set up to take with me on vacation to tropical waters in a few months. I have not done any underwater photography in years, and most of my old camera stuff is gone or dead (Nikonos/ Ikelite SLR case, etc.), I found it too much of hassle to travel with, and photography is no fun in local waters with 4-5 ft vis. Therefore I am looking for advice on a good digital camera setup with remote strobe, that is small enough to tuck away in a gear bag and not go over modern air travel weight limits. What would you suggest in a budget of between $300-600 or so, used/ebay, etc deals included? I think I would prefer a submersible camera opposed to a surface camera in a housing, if there is a good one out there.

thanks Ike

Hi Isaac,

Wellif you forget about the strobe I would suggest the canon powershot SD750 with its housing WP-DC14. The reason is that it lets you configure the whitebalance manually underwater. A mate of mine has the SD650 (which I think they don't sell anymore) and the photo's are awesome, especially the one without use of the flash.
You can get this for about 350US at andorama.com. Don't know about the local stores. I tried to buy it when I was in miami and although they had the camara almost everywhere I couldn't get the housing, so I ended up buying the olympus f280 with housing. Makes nice pictures but it laks the manual whitebalance.

Cheers
Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom