Small Boat Dive Shop Recs for both Utila & Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cara_NC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be headed down for a week in late March next year and will be spending one night on Roatan due to the ferry schedule. My hope: do a morning dive on Roatan before I hop on the ferry over to Utila.
What I'm looking for on Roatan: a West End operator that runs smaller boats. Not in love with cattle boats. My guess is it would need to be an op that runs a two-tank boat rather than multiple single dives in order for me to be back in time to get to the ferry.
What I'm looking for on Utila: an op for a 10+ dive package or so with dorm accommodations. I'm throwing around doing a specialty cert while I'm there and would be looking at SSI Deep Diver if I don't get it done this fall. I've been looking most closely at Alton's and Captain Morgan's but am open to other ideas.

For a little context, this will be a Wed-Tues trip with the sole goal of getting in the water a lot as prep for an 8-day liveaboard next fall. Not looking for AIs or anything. Trying to stay cheap and efficient. TIA!

We've had great luck with Island Dive Center in West End for one day visits. They are next door to a newly renovated hotel that has a nice poolside eatery for at least lunch. Smaller boats and tons of awesome diving just a few dozen yards offshore.

Brisas del Mar Beach + Dive Resort, 34101 West End, Bay Islands, Honduras

I did my Divemaster with UDC (Utila Dive Center) and it included a room for practically nothing, although that was a few years back and that was a 4 week program, not 10 dives.
Most of the dive centers have rooms and/or hostels, they will try to sell you food as well!!!.
I would contact UDC, Tank'd Dive Center, Altons, Bay Islands College of Diving, Coral View Divers and Captain Morgans (all reputable outfits in Utila Town) and find out which one will give you the best deal.
Just remember that March is high season (do not come here during Semana Santa, the week leading up to Easter, that is a huge national holiday and the town is swamped, only terrible week of the year). High season means top prices and least availability, its not going to be super cheap like it would be September - December.

I did my Divemaster with UDC (Utila Dive Center) and it included a room for practically nothing, although that was a few years back and that was a 4 week program, not 10 dives.
Most of the dive centers have rooms and/or hostels, they will try to sell you food as well!!!.
I would contact UDC, Tank'd Dive Center, Altons, Bay Islands College of Diving, Coral View Divers and Captain Morgans (all reputable outfits in Utila Town) and find out which one will give you the best deal.
Just remember that March is high season (do not come here during Semana Santa, the week leading up to Easter, that is a huge national holiday and the town is swamped, only terrible week of the year). High season means top prices and least availability, its not going to be super cheap like it would be September - December.
I contacted UDC. 10 tank is $70 for two tanks with equipment and dorm room if you buy 10 dives. So $350

Thank you all so much! For Utila I ended up going with Tank'd and am doing their deal of 4 specialties for $420, super excited. My dates are March 19-25 so no worries with Semana Santa.

Wish I could do fall Caribbean/Central America trips to avoid high season, but alas, I work in college football, so pretty much June through December is out 😂 My only exception is Australia next fall, which I still don't know how I managed to get away with taking off for!

I'll be headed down for a week in late March next year and will be spending one night on Roatan due to the ferry schedule. My hope: do a morning dive on Roatan before I hop on the ferry over to Utila.
What I'm looking for on Roatan: a West End operator that runs smaller boats. Not in love with cattle boats. My guess is it would need to be an op that runs a two-tank boat rather than multiple single dives in order for me to be back in time to get to the ferry.
What I'm looking for on Utila: an op for a 10+ dive package or so with dorm accommodations. I'm throwing around doing a specialty cert while I'm there and would be looking at SSI Deep Diver if I don't get it done this fall. I've been looking most closely at Alton's and Captain Morgan's but am open to other ideas.

For a little context, this will be a Wed-Tues trip with the sole goal of getting in the water a lot as prep for an 8-day liveaboard next fall. Not looking for AIs or anything. Trying to stay cheap and efficient. TIA!
Hi Cara,

I would recommand also Captain Morgan.

If you want to do 2 tanks dive before taking the ferry, be sure to plan a taxi or shuttle before (and the person is reliable!). The ferry for Utila isn't that close to West end and you might have difficulties to find someone at the last minute (or to pay a lot).
You will love Roatan! Enjoy your stay in Utila :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom