Question SM advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

Jatinder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm a new diver with less than 20 dives. I'm taking drysuit and AOW course this summer. I want to delve into SM and Ice diving as well.

I'm planning to go into Rec SM because double BM tanks would be too heavy for me. (5'8" #150)

Any recommendation to learn SM here locally (Instructor or Agency near/around Ottawa). Would it be advisable to get into a course first and then start with a mentor or just start with a mentor directly?

Also, any recommendations on reg set is welcome as well for eventual Ice diving.

Your thoughts?

I'm planning to go into Rec SM because double BM tanks would be too heavy for me. (5'8" #150)

Unless you have a physical ailment, my thought is that your size by itself is a poor justification to warrant sidemount, especially with recreational size backmount doubles sizes.

Some questions:

Why do you want doubles? redundancy?, gas volume?

Small doubles (50s or 40s) or a pony gives redundancy with less work that SM.

Wanting SM just because is fine as well. But for some things there are other options. And knowing what type of diving you want to use it for and how it fits is good.

I'm a SM diver and love it. But SM because BM doubles is too big is not as clear a reason, unless you're specific about it being full-size tanks for both, and not small tanks. Or, that a normal single tank is too big, so half that at a time is needed. My AL40 BM doubles are really nice and are essentially identical to an AL80 on land weight. LP50 BM doubles would be a better cold water choice, and compare well on land weight with their single tank equivalents as well.

On regs, a rotating turret will make life easier in SM.

Would it be advisable to get into a course first and then start with a mentor or just start with a mentor directly?

Based on all of the questions above and your profile, MOST DEFINITELY start with a most qualified and experienced SM instructor first and learn the "right" way first. Your SM instructor should help you address your concerns and answer the question if SM is appropriate and needed for your situation in addition to learning proper SM diving.

Again, choosing the SM instructor is the MOST crucial task first.

I'm a little shorter than you, about the same weight. My doubled Worthington LP85s are no issue. The Fabers are a little lighter.

Unless you have knee issues or something along those those lines, steel doubles will not be too heavy for you.

i agree with some of the above statements. simply choosing sm due to your body size is probably not the best reason.
sm and bm both have advantages and disadvantages. the problem with a new diver trying decide which is best, is that they have nothing to compare it to. most go by what their instructor tells them to do.
i would suggest at least giving it a try in the pool. just make sure they can put together a rig that is small enough for you to be comfortable in.
if you can find a shop that also does sm then you can try that in the pool as well. maybe then you might at least have somethinng to base your decision on.
it really comes down to.....what are your needs and goals? and what rig are you most comfortable diving?
single bm, single sm, double bm, double sm, single bm with one pony bottle.....these are all viable options depending on your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom