Question SM advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

Jatinder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm a new diver with less than 20 dives. I'm taking drysuit and AOW course this summer. I want to delve into SM and Ice diving as well.

I'm planning to go into Rec SM because double BM tanks would be too heavy for me. (5'8" #150)

Any recommendation to learn SM here locally (Instructor or Agency near/around Ottawa). Would it be advisable to get into a course first and then start with a mentor or just start with a mentor directly?

Also, any recommendations on reg set is welcome as well for eventual Ice diving.

Your thoughts?

Recreational SM class *before* tech SM class. The tech SM class adds deco bottle(s). OP doesn’t need that right now. If he takes up SM now, he needs to get the basics down and then look at a tech SM class when he’s thinking about tech, which is a while down the road.
I do agree that taking the recreational SM class is a better idea than leaping straight into the technical SM class. My SM instructor told me to buzz off and get in at least 50 dives before even thinking about advanced training.

About the deco bottle thing, though, that's not entirely accurate. The TDI standards for Technical Sidemount state that using deco bottles is an optional skill ("Carry additional cylinders is optional in this course"). That being said, I think that a good Tec SM course absolutely should include it.

I've switched to sidemount before going on to technical course. And, unless you need extended range, and technical diving, doubles, SM is not needed. I dive cold water 70% of the year, and a 12L tank was more than enough for anything.That said, a 12L tank and a 7L redundant is also an easier thing to pull around.

I agree with the sentiment, that you need to dive some more before going on. Pl.an your gear for future sidemount, but keep diving singles. Get much more proficient with a drysuit

Recreational SM class *before* tech SM class. The tech SM class adds deco bottle(s). OP doesn’t need that right now. If he takes up SM now, he needs to get the basics down and then look at a tech SM class when he’s thinking about tech, which is a while down the road.
Maybe yours did. I was thinking of TDI . There's no requirement for deco bottles, though they certainly could be added. I'm not sure what other agencies are doing though.

I guess a good rec sidemount instructor would be fine, but the odds of finding good instruction are better with a tech class, hence my suggestion.

However, after a dive, this is another story. On a shore dive, walking on stones, unbalanced, then, climbing on a ladder then stairs and walking 200 meters is a dreading thought.
Some people will say that you should be more fit (which is always correct of course), but it is plain stupid to do physical excercise after a dive. Just do not.

It landed my BFF in a hospital.

Might be a stupid question... but Al80 in Ottawa?? What is the reasoning behind aluminum cylinders in dry suit territory?
That's a standard rental kit. I'm going to see my LDS next week and talk about steel bottles.

I don't know why steel is not a standard kit instead :confused:

Also, has anyone used MK17MK19 with C370 in cold water/ice diving. I'm debating between MK17/C370 or DiveRite XTs.

Back
Top Bottom