slung pony hand off question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
ONLY FOR THOSE WHO SLING PONYS

yes I had DIRF training
no I didnt pass (theres an opening for you)
no ponys are not DIR
yes I dive BP/W
yes I can only find stroke dive buddys
no I dont want to spend $425 for a new HPS100 w/ a Y-valve
no my back cant lug doubles around
no I dont want to spend $1000 for doubles and a manifold
yes I got hung on the down line when it was mounted
yes the 19cf pony is only turned on for emergenceis
no I dont want to by a new 30cf pony
no my dives are always above 60 feet
yes I solo occasionally
yes the pony has a 6" SPG
yes ponys are dumb
no ponys are good

ok thats out of the way.

now my question is - if you sling a pony, do you factor your weighting with the pony off? If you establish trim slinging a pony wouldnt you become positively boyant if you had to hand the pony off?

Thanks in advance

:hoondidi:

I did, but really don't plan on ever handing my pony off. If diving with others, I usually over weight by a couple pounds. I have never had to assist an OOA diver. But I have had a couple occasions to assist an underweighted diver complete a rest stop.

FFMDiver:

yes I had DIRF training
no ponys are not DIR
yes I solo occasionally
yes ponys are dumb
no ponys are good

ok thats out of the way.

now my question is - if you sling a pony, do you factor your weighting with the pony off? If you establish trim slinging a pony wouldnt you become positively boyant if you had to hand the pony off?

Thanks in advance

Trim <> bouyancy

Practice is the key.

If you are hovering and stable and that pony has any amount of negative ballast you will become [somwhat] positive when you let it go.

Changes in bouyancy can be made via lungs so practice is the key.

It might upset your trim when you unclip it if it's trying to 'twist' you one way or t'other and you have compensated.

Practice is the key.

It might upset your bouyancy and trim if you try and pick it back up and you are not compensating for the additional ballast.

Practice is the key.

You cannot expect to add or detract significant gear without some ripple effect.

Practice is the key.

FFMDiver:

yes I had DIRF training
no ponys are not DIR
yes I solo occasionally
yes ponys are dumb
no ponys are good

ok thats out of the way.

Thanks in advance

I personally never give away a deco bottle. I bring it because I need it. If you plan, or if you may give away your deco bottle, I suggest you do your trim as though you do not have the bottle. Obviously if your weight is right on the money, then you remove some of your system ballast (approx. 25# deco bottle with reg), you will be light. A roll factor will not be as critical a problem compared to being too light. I align my weight such that there is a counter balance to the roll I would otherwise have with my deco bottle. I do not remove my bottle so my roll is not an issue.

Also, you do not have to spend $1000 to get into a BP/Wings. If you have two alum 80's you can double those up. BP, wings, manifold with isolator, and tank bands bands will run you about $570. My twin alums with bands and isolator weighs 96 pounds. Obviously not including BP/Wings, etc.

Anyway it sounds like you don't want doubles. Just wanted to point out that you could get into them for about $600 if you were interested. I had the same assumption about the costs before I was corrected.

--Matt

Ok, as a side note... I got my doubles manifold with twin 80's for $75 from a pawnshop. Never pass by a good pawnshop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom