slow loading with what is known to be a slow connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M/V Orion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Howard,

I was told you wouldn't address this except through site support forum. I spend a fair amount of time working on a boat with an admittedly slow internet connection. It is 3g USB modem hooked to a wireless router or directly to my computer.
Using chrome I see a box in the bottom left hand corner of the page that is waiting to load. Generally it reads something like this:
"waiting for pagead.googlesyndicate.com or something like that.
Is there anything I can do to avoid this? I work with every other website via this connection but find it impossible most of the time to use Scubaboard. I wake up early to do internet work, being on the other side of the world and it chews up 30 minutes very quickly while I do my facebook and internet email easily.

Using google chrome, updated on a mac. I clear EVERYTHING according to chrome regularly. Everything else is working. I just wonder if there is a way to avoid loading the pagead.googlesyndicate.com.

If not, so be it.

Team M/V Orion

If you sign up as a supporting member, you can opt out of the ads.

Good sales pitch...haha...we are working on banners. Usually I am in Male' but 6 out of the last 5 weeks I have been on charter. Will be discussing this soon with you.

Team M/V Orion

You don't need to do ads just yet. A supporting member is only 39 bucks a year and will let you turn the ads off. I pay a good bit more as a business sponsor but find it worth it. I used to turn off the ads and then could not figure out how after the site upgrade but with high speed it's not such a big deal.

I pay a good bit more as a business sponsor but find it worth it. I used to turn off the ads and then could not figure out how after the site upgrade but with high speed it's not such a big deal.
As a business sponsor, you can't turn off the ads. We felt you probably needed to see what your competitors are up to! :D However, if you really want to get out of seeing ads, please contact HowardE or myself and we'll add a basic membership to run concurrently with your business sponsorship. Then you'll be able to opt out of seeing the ads. BTW, very few supporters even use that feature. The ads really add to the overall ScubaBoard experience.

On another note, we just added two mondo web servers utilizing sandy bridge processors last week (8 cores) and our speed has increased noticeably. Hopefully, this will impact our slow connectors as well.

On another note, we just added two mondo web servers utilizing sandy bridge processors last week (8 cores) and our speed has increased noticeably. Hopefully, this will impact our slow connectors as well.

Unfortunately, no. Although blocking mystatus.skype.com did reduce load times by about 5 sec per page.

Unfortunately, I can't advise every user how to optimize their browser experience, and what addons people have on their computer.

However:

Capture.jpg

This result seems pretty damn good.

Hopefully....I don't want to turn off the ads really. Banner ads I don't mind and you are right, I want to see what's going on in the world and who can afford to spend ad money :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom