Slippery when wet: BC and Drysuit issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iAmLevis

Registered
Reaction score
Well I went on a test dive with my new drysuit (very happy to be dry and warm here in the northeast). It's a TLS350 shell-type drysuit, so the outside is a slippery nylon. That causes a bit of a problem with my BC (seaquest pro qd). With a neoprene wetsuit, there was plenty of friction between the wetsuit and the nylon of the bc. However, with the nylon drysuit against the nylon bc, there isn't much mutual friction and I experienced annoying ride-up while at the surface. So I'm considering retro-fitting a crotch-strap to my BC.

Would anyone take exception to this, or offer a more useful suggestion? Am i alone in suffering this problem?

Thanks!

MSilvia:
Sounds like a good solution. Let us know how it works out, or if you need any advice on how to rig it.

Well I was just gonna take a stab at it, with nylon straps and your standard clicky-thing. But if people have done it before and know of any pitfalls, then I'd be glad to read about them.

Yea, don't sew through the BC air bladder. That could be bad. ;-)

I might do the same as you actually. that strap idea is a good one.

It will be important to ensure the strap on the BC is done up before putting the weight belt on. Hopefully this won't interfere with the weight belt.

Will this cause any stress on the drysuit in the crotch area? wouldn't want to pop a seam down there... yeeouch.. thats cold... ;-)

I don't dive with a jacket BC, but the way I have mine rigged it doesn't need the "clicky thing". If you have (or are willing to add) a stainless steel D-ring to the tail (back center) of your BC, you can run the strap through that and secure it through a triglide. That way, it'll be adjustable, and easier to remove if you decide to add a ring on your butt as an additional place to clip off things like reels. On the front end of the strap sew (or use another triglide) it into a loop that's big enough to easily slip the buckle or clip in the front of your BC through. That way, when you put it on, you just secure the connector through the loop, and you're good to go without needing any additional releases.

Something like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~msilvia7/crotchstrap.jpg

Rimp:
It will be important to ensure the strap on the BC is done up before putting the weight belt on. Hopefully this won't interfere with the weight belt.
It's pretty easy to undo at the surface if you have to ditch. Many divers prefer to have the strap on over the weightbelt, but use your best judgement.
Rimp:
Will this cause any stress on the drysuit in the crotch area? wouldn't want to pop a seam down there...
It shouldn't be a problem. If it's tight enough to stress the seam (it should be comfortably loose), that'll be the least of your worries! Yeeouch indeed. :)

The SeaQuest Pro QD uses integrated weights, so the weight belt isn't a factor.

I'm curious as to how the final results will work out though. A friend of mine has the same BC, and remarks all the time about my crotch strap (bp/w) and how he wishes he had one. If this works, I'll point him at the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom