Slim DSMB or Wide DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Domovoi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey! I was hoping to get some opinions as I'm stuck on which to buy. I've been shopping around for a 6' DSMB and I was wondering what people generally prefer. Does the Wider DSMB get in the way more or is it fine so long as it fits in a pocket? It looks like it would take up a lot more space. Here are the comparisons.

Super Big Slim Diver's Alert Marker, 6'

Super Big Diver's Alert Marker, 6'

Not necessarily going with Halcyon, but it was easy to show the same brand with the different sizes. Thanks!

This might be more a question for the ladies.

But, for me, I go for the slim just to have a smaller roll.

One of each.

The wide six foot one for drift type situations where towing water resistance Is not a factor, but being found is.

The thin one with lesser towing resistance for having to swim underwater while towing it from below. A small thin four foot one takes up hardly any space.

The difference in towing resistance can be significant.

Lift Bags and Marking Tubes | Dive Gear Express®

DGX brand is good quality at a fraction of the cost. Multiple sizes and widths. DGX is the house brand.

Normally I'd go with the DGX option, but I'm trying to support the LDS in this case since the whole COVID thing is hurting local business quite a bit. This is the only local tech shop in my area, so if I have to spend a bit (twice) more to help them stay in business, so be it.

Good show.

Speaking as crew on a dive boat I know bigger is easier to see

With that in mind I use this

Super Big Diver's Alert Marker, 6'

I bungee it to the bottom of the weight pocket on my Hydros Pro with the spool attached and clipped to the D ring there

Rough waters, then a big one (2m). Calm waters, then a little one. If I am diving with a buddy, I will likely take my smaller AP DSMB (1.4m long x 20cm wide) and smaller Apeks 15m spool. If I am in a group of divers, then there will likely be more than one or two DSMBs. Two or three little or skinny DSMBs on the surface will like provide as much visibility as a fat 6' DSMB. I dive with a smaller setup for most dives especially when I know the other divers have DSMBs.

I use a smaller slim DSMB when in calm conditions or simply to mark my location underwater in an area with boat traffic.

When ever I go to the Med sea where the conditions can be rough I take a large and wide 6ft DSMB to have the best option of being spotted should something happen.

So basically it depends on the general conditions of where you will be diving.

Slim for packing and weight, towing is easier but alas you loose how visible it is so, the real question is what are you using it for. I switched ours to slim 6ft versions

Back
Top Bottom