Skype in the Dominican Republic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going diving in DR in February, and was a bit shocked when I checked the cost of roaming calls there (US$2.71 a minute!).

Does anyone know if Skype works out of DR (I know a lot of Caribbean countries have found a way to block it)? It might be cheaper to carry a laptop and pay for broadband at the hotel.

Yes, in fact I work with someone there, who I am going to visit this month who uses it all the time. Just called him last night on his skype line.

I probably should set myself up too.

Curtis

Yes, if you use non Dominican cell phone, it is very expensive. We live in DR and pay about 4 pesos to call Canada and USA from here (current exchange rate 1US dollar is about 35 pesos) that is around 12 cents per minute.
Using skype is the cheapest. We've lived here for 3 years now and use skype all the time. So bring you laptop and use skype for sure. Where are you going in DR?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom