Skydiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is skydiving similar to scuba in the sense you must get certified and show a C card before making jumps or buying gear?

If so, how long does it take and how much does it generally cost to become a skydiver?

What about BASE and wingsuits? Are they easy to get into once you are a skydiver?

Any stats on the mortality rates for these sports?

Thanks

Yes. You must certify and every place I ever jumped asked for my cert.

I did my course in 3 weekends, That was a long time ago, not sure anymore.

If you really want to increase your chance of death or injury yes you can get this gear. Helps to live near good base jumping places.

I knew 14 people who did base jumping. 2 were killed doing it. Not good odds in my opinion.

Is skydiving similar to scuba in the sense you must get certified and show a C card before making jumps or buying gear?

If so, how long does it take and how much does it generally cost to become a skydiver?

In Canada skydiving is much less commercialized than SCUBA. Training programs are more or less standardized only requiring 4 or 5 hours for a first jump. The cost of the initial course is approx. $200 for training, first-jump and use of equipment.

In Canada the CPA usually adopts this progression:
2 jumps static line
2 jumps training ripcord pull
1 jump 5 sec freefall (4000')
1 jump 10 sec freefall (4500')
2 jumps 15 sec freefall boxman arch (5500')
2 jumps 20 sec freefall with turns (6500')
At this point you're eligible to join the Canadian Parachute Association
3 jumps 20 sec freefall figure 8's/back loop (6500')
1 jump pre-solo jump evaluation (showing off the above, 6500')
1 jump 30 sec freefall solo jump evaluation (10,500')
Your a solo skydiver! You purchase an Altimeter and your on your own to fill your boots...

Jumps cost between $75 and $100 depending upon height.

Gear cost is like anything else (you can spend a fortune), but $3000 can get you equipped and there are always good deals or used gear...

The most I ever paid to go up was $15 bucks. I know of several today in the states where it is still $10 bucks. Per jump that is. However on some of the planes you were very happy to be wearing a chute :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom