Skirt- Clear or Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeness

Registered
Reaction score
What are the benefits of a black skirt vs a clear skirt? I know that when snorkeling the balck skirt prevents glare better, but what about when diving?

I have tried both for scuba diving. Personally for scuba diving I like the clear skirt. It allows the light to penetrate in through the silicon to give a more open feeling. The downside is the yellowing over time. I used a black skirt mask for quite a while and it seemed kind of claustrophobic and like I couldn't see as much. That being said though I am probably getting a black skirt mask for freediving. You are right about the glare. Many spearfisherman, photographers prefer the black to avoid distracting light entering in the field of view. I guess it ends up with personal taste and application. For basic scuba diving - in my opinion, would say clear is better.

Throw in a vote for the black skirt for me.

Don't have to worry about discoloration and distortion.

But I guess it's really a personal preference.

I have used both over the years. today I use a black, mostly because I found a mask that fits my face perfectly (Scubapro Frameless).

Otherwise it is more about personal preference or if you, like others have previously mentioned, are into photography or would get irritated by some glare. In that case you can choose a black skirted mask.

Sincerely

Anders

she looks like....sorry, I couldn't resist :bonk: If its a Scotsman, then definetly black!

Otter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom