Skip breathing Vs Buoyancy control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If any of you have played wind instruments you will know what it is like to breathe in and control your breathing out to play the instrument and some of us could hold a note for quite a long time as we control the amount of air exhaled. I used to play a 4 valve Boosey and Hawkes Euphonium for several years in a school band. Also if you sing or hum quietly you can hold a note for a long time. In doing so we are not following the natural cadence of automatic breathing as when we are sleeping. We manage the breathing. Most of the time we do not use the full capacity of our lungs but sometimes you take those deep breaths.

Also if you are not ascending you will not damage yourself by using controlled breathing. Sometimes if I want to get down to a wreck say at 35m - 40m I will go off the boat negative and exhale most of my air from my lungs. I may only take a few sips of air with short breaths to maybe a third of my lung capacity and drift down. Be careful with this, one time my own dive master guide swam down after me as I left no bubble trail and he thought I was an unresponsive diver as I was at such a steep angle speeding down and pulled on my fins.
People have told me my playing has helped with my "great" airway control. Maybe-- never gave it any thought, figuring it's two different things. I could never get the hang of circular breathing. Maybe on a dive is a good time to try to finally figure it out......

Well, air in your lungs expands when you ascend, not when you descend. I don't know if any would exit your lungs with an open glottis when descending... never thought about it. But why would you not be just breathing normally when you descend (or ascend)?
Well, air in your lungs expands when you ascend, not when you descend. I don't know if any would exit your lungs with an open glottis when descending... never thought about it. But why would you not be just breathing normally when you descend (or ascend)?
I want to do an experiment... put a balloon over my 2nd regulator mouthpiece, fill it up with air, and see what the ballon does when I descend and ascend. This I’m thinking would simulate an open glottis. What would the regulator do?

I want to do an experiment... put a balloon over my 2nd regulator mouthpiece, fill it up with air, and see what the ballon does when I descend and ascend. This I’m thinking would simulate an open glottis. What would the regulator do?

The regulator would be closed so it won't do anything :) The balloon will shrink and expand. I live up in the mountains. When I go to a city at sea level and buy things like Dorito's the bags expand and some have popped. Worst case they really explode and Doritos go everywhere.

No no I won’t. I would imagine when descending with an open glottis your lungs would exhale through yours regulator without you trying. True?
As pointed out, you have this backward.
I want to do an experiment.
Go down with an empty water bottle with the cap on. At depth, open it up, uncrush it, fill it with air and put the cap back on. The cap represents your glottis. Watch what happens as you ascend.

Go down with an empty water bottle with the cap on. At depth, open it up, uncrush it, fill it with air and put the cap back on. The cap represents your glottis. Watch what happens as you ascend.

Try not to crush too much and attract sharks.

Well, at the surface before you descend, you'd have to tie up the filled balloon one way or another around the reg mouthpiece-- or else the air would just escape right there, no? You have to have air in a balloon and the balloon open when you descend. Maybe somehow keeping air in using the purge button? Then I guess it would depend on where the balloon opening is positioned-- the air would either escape to the surface or would decrease in volume as you descend (whether balloon is open or closed). Or are we way overthinking this thing?

My son did an experiment for 6th grade science last year using graduated cylinders. Mounting four upside down in a wooden frame, he filled them to 200cc with argon, air, helium and 40% Nitrox and took pictures. He then descended to 34 feet in freshwater and took pictures of the gas levels. Returning to the surface he took more pictures.

If I sealed a balloon around the shank of my regulator hit the purge button filling the balloon up at the surface and then squeezed the balloon pretty sure it would open up the exhaust valve simulating a decent. Now if I filled the ballon at 30 feet and then ascended what would happen?

If I sealed a balloon around the shank of my regulator hit the purge button filling the balloon up at the surface and then squeezed the balloon pretty sure it would open up the exhaust valve simulating a decent. Now if I filled the ballon at 30 feet and then ascended what would happen?
ya this doesn’t work. Back to the experimental drawing board. Lol

Back
Top Bottom