skip breathing causing headaches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jorgen,

I am sure Dr Deco, many other more knowlegible contributers to this forum and indeed any physiology text book can answer your questions far better than me (a mere interloper) but this is an explanation in what I hope are layman's terms.

As you say, normal respiration is stimulated, not by low Oxygen levels but by excess Carbon Dioxide above a trigger level. This is detected by chemoreceptors, which are thought to measure the local acidity produced by free Carbon Dioxide molecules which react with water to produce Carbonic Acid. These receptors are found in the respiratory centre of the mid brain.

Even at rest the body continuously uses Oxygen and produces Carbon Dioxide so this makes considerable sense as Oxygen itself is effectively undetectable as it does not cause a change to the acidity of the blood, while for each molecule of oxygen used a molecule of potentially acidic Carbon Dioxide is produced. If there appears to be "excess" Carbon Dioxide (or any acidity) in the blood the receptors interprete this as having been produced by the consumption of Oxygen, molecule for molecule, so more Oxygen must be needed and the only way to get it is to take deep breath! (In fact, low Oxygen levels can stimulate respiration but only in certain circumstances)

Hyperventilation is very much a relative term. What I meant was that compared with the amount of gas moved by the lungs at any given level of activity on the surface, when submerged, humans move more gas.

If you hold your breath on the surface there comes a point when the Carbon Dioxide level reaches the point at which the reflex stimulus to take a breath is overwhelming and overrides your conscious attempts to hold your breath any longer so you have no choice but to take a breath.

When you hyperventilate you remove more Carbon Dioxide from the body than is produced but do not take on more Oxygen (as the haemoglobin is always almost fully saturated as it leaves the lungs in any case). If you were, consciously, to hold your breath after a period of such excesssive hyperventilation, as before Oxygen continues to be consumed so after only a short while it's level falls below that needed for normal brain function and this arrives BEFORE the level of Carbon Dioxide rises sufficently to stimulate reflex respiration and overide concious breathholding.

Unconciousness results. Active breathholding ceases; Normal breathing resumes; The Oxygen supply is restored and conciousness returns ( at least on land!)

Scuba diving is undertaken in an alien environment. At the most basic level the equiment produces "dead space" which causes some retention of Carbon Dioxide and so stimulates a relative hyperventilation but there are other causes, such as the reaction to cold and to immersion itself. Because od this divers are routinely exposed to higher levels of Carbon Dioxide so the brain's trigger level is gradually raised as the respiratory center "learns" the higher average blood acidity and sets new trigger level so experienced divers, as a group, can hold their breath for longer than non-divers.

Free divers hyperventilate before they dive so they can breath-hold for longer and so dive deeper. This breathholding causes CO2 to build up, of course, they therefore routinely expose their bodies to very high levels of Cardon Dioxide and reset the trigger even higher. As you can imagine, they run the considerable risks of hypoxia as they return to the surface from each dive and many suffer

"shallow water blackout"
which is extremely dangerous. :drown:

At a very technical level I discussed some of the further effects the Carbon Dioxide molecule, with respect to Oxygen toxicity on this forum at

http://www.scubaboard.com/t4425/s.html

Headache is one feature of fatigue but I suspoect in your case that is not the main cause.

I hope this answers you questions satisfactorily.:)

Paul,

Thanx for the quick response :thumb:

The principles are quite clear to me right now. I always wondered why some people can breathhold for so long. Now I understand it is a matter of f#$king up your respiratory center's chemoreceptors :boom:.

Bye

Jorgen

Dear Readers:

Dr Thomas gave a very nice explanation. My Thanks!

The carbon dioxide stimulus probably varies to some degree on an individual basis and can account for differences in breath-hold ability. Some individuals can control it better.

Harry Houdini practiced for his underwater escapes and became very proficient at staying in very confined spaces for what seemed like impossible lengths of time. :snorkel:

Dr Deco
:doctor:

Dr Deco,

My pleasure ! I hope you continue tolerating this transaltantic interloper stealing your thunder!

In fact I find writing on this forum an excellent way of clarifying my own understanding of diving matters and admit to being amazed at how seldom I appear to get it wrong. (I gave up research physiology over 20 years ago)

By the way, is there any way for me to change my profile name to something a little less formal?

Kind regards,

Hahaha... :wink:

Dear Dr. Paul Thomas. Why should you less-formalize your username. Your famous by that name now... Besides, your signature less-formalizes your appearance enough on this board. Hahahaha :D.

Dr. Deco
Would you suggest natural variation might account for some people can breathhold up to 3 minutes, whereas I estimate (actually I guess) the average of 'normal' people is about 1 minute?

Bye

Jorgen

Dear Jorgen:

I would suspect that it is natural variation - - as is true of many things in the biological world.

Dr Deco

In the old days, divers sometimes experienced tension headaches with the hard breathing double hose regs. They blamed it on skip breathing. Skip breathing is not a factor in headaches. This is just another wive's tale. Look for some other cause such as nervous or muscular tension, sinus, bad air, cold water, high blood pressure or genetic propensity.

Yes, free divers can hold their breath for several minutes. This is partly an acquired ability. It's improved by practice and forcing oneself to make deeper and deeper dives. This is as much mental as anything. CO2 reduction, hence bottom time, is extended by hyperventilation and taking a last breath that is so inflated that the chest is uncomfortable. (Due to water pressure, the pain or dizziness disappears as soon as the diver submerges)

It's also a matter of genetics and hence physiology. Consumption of oxygen and thus, CO2 production, depends on body size and type, size of lungs, conditioning, metabolism, skin temperature, work rate and heart rate. However, as implied above, it's very mental; some divers have the ability to alter these bodily processes by a technique similar to meditation.

I have never met a freediver who complained of a headache. Generally they take physical conditioning rather seriously and don't dissipate themselves with heavy drinking, etc.

Hello,

OK I have got to call BS on this statment. I will gladly retract my statment if *ANYONE* can show me some medical documentation that states otherwise.

However, I do have evidence to prove the reverse of this statment.

http://www.scuba-doc.com/headache.html

Scroll down to headaches at depth, under CO2 retention.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom