Skin under wet suit or for tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DolphinWannabe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a complete newbie, just certified, have very little equipment yet (mask, snorkel, boots, fins) and am trying to make purchases in a sensible sequence that doesn't break my budget (and really p*** off my wife :) )

I live in New England, and what local diving I'm doing is in (rented) 7mm wet suits. I've found the top part of the suit especially awkward to get on and have been advised that a suitable underskin really helps.

Any advice in this area? I've seen some ads for "rash guards" at very reasonable prices ($20 range for a top) that look they could do the job nicely. Anything to look for or be careful about, or is this just a commodity-type item? UV protection seems to be a nice sell, having gotten a bit of a shoulder burn between dives.

Is something like this a good idea for the tropics as well? I have a Carbbean cruise scheduled for the fall and want to figure out what I should be aquiring prior to that trip.

If I'm temperature comfortable and don't have too much problem with the 7mm bottom, seems like just a top would be sufficient rather than a full body skin.

Advice on searching for this type of equipment online? I'd been looking for "dive skin" and just stumbled across the "rash guard". Are they really something different or is it just a name?

Well I think some folks use a rash guard or Lycra skin as it may give some sorts of sea life ie sea lice off your skin tissue as I am not sure.

But a skin like a 1 MM Crushed Neoprene by Henderson as it has foot and thumb stirrups to be used under other wet suits as it cuts water movement way down and if you dive a farmer you have tons of water movement!= I love it under my 7mm and use it under my 3mm on late winter Florida dives as the 70 deg water dose cool you off on the second dive even us cold water divers from Wisconsin !!
Dive safe,
Brad

Sounds like you're talking about a Lycra skin. We sell them from Henderson and Neosport. They help the wetsuit slide on easier.
http://crazyscuba.com/pd_henderson_lycra_hot.cfm
You definitely want some sun protection if you're going to be in the caribbean, and a skin will give you that, and protection from stinging hydroids, jellyfish, scrapes and the like.
The type of suit you wear will really depend upon your comfort level. We do a lot of layering depending upon where we're diving and the time of year, how "cold natured or warm natured" you are, etc. Take a look at some of these points to help you out:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/helpful_information_articles.cfm

Please let me know if you need any more information. I've been fitting wetsuits for 21 years so I can probably answer just about any question.

Thanks,

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

I do a lot of quarry diving. Below 40' depth, the water temp ranges 38-45 degrees year round. I use a Henderson skin to help me get into my 2pc 6.5mm suit. It generally helps it to slide on easier. I am one of those poor fools, that getting into a wet suit is a real ordeal. The legs have "stirrups" & the arms have little elastic loops for the thumb or a finger to keep the skin from riding up whilst donning the wet suit. I would say that the skin make it about 50% easier to get that wet suit on. The skins tend to run aout $40- $50.

Hmmm....I hope you're not planning on a 7mm for the Carribean? That could cause some heat stress issues even in the fall.

Most places I've been in the Carribean in May-September, I dive in my swim suit or maybe a Lycra dive skin. On a couple of occasions a 1mm suit. The rest of the year I wear a 3mm with the dive skin just to help the wetsuit slide on easier.

However, I've been told I am an anomoly since I dive 7mm in 40 degree water when most of my buddies are in dry suits.

You should be able to pick up a good dive skin for $60 or less. I have one, a Henderson, with a spine pad so that when I wear it alone, I have a bit extra cushion between my spine and my tank. Not really necessary, but I got a good deal on it.

Layering is a great idea. The majority of heat loss happens through our heads so a neoprene beenie might be in order on dives 2, 3, 4 of the day or concurrent dive days. Remember that once your core gets chilled, it becomes easier to feel cold and thus diving can become less pleasant.

Wow, I'd say you are an anomoly jbichsel! Well, I guess I'm an anomoly the other way. I wear a 7/5mm in the Caribbean and I have no "heat stress" issues. If I get warm I just pull out the neck a little and let some water in. I can do my 3 to 5 dives a day and stay warm, well, mostly warm.:mooner: I am getting chilled by the end of the day because my core temp is dropping. I wear a Trilam as my base garment under whatever suit I'm wearing. I have worn a 3mm or a 5mm in the Caribbean as well. The least I'll go with now is a 5mm with my Trilam under it. Then I wear a 3mm hood for the Caribbean and a 5mm hood for colder water, all Hyperstretch so it makes it much easier getting in and out of the suits AND hoods. I can't recommend Hyperstretch enough, it's definitely changed my comfort level in diving. Even the thick suits are a breeze to put on. I started out in a lycra skin and a scubapro suit and it was hell :11: to get the suit on and off, it didn't comform to my body so lots of water swirling through made me even colder. The Hyperstretch will conform to your body so it fits much better. :blinking:

Dolphinwannabe, check out the prices at Crazyscuba.com, they are great at fitting wetsuits and they have great prices. They don't list every type of suit they sell, so they'll probably have it if you don't see it on the web. Britt fit me in my suit, and he's been doing it a long time. They take good care of me, I'm sure they will you too. Even if they don't have what you want, which i doubt, they can give you some great recommendations.

Have a great summer, c u underwater! :snorkel: ,
scubadivadivemaster

Scubadivadivemaster,
Even though I don't own a Hyperstretch, I have used them and they are awesome for fit. Most comfortable suit I've ever had on even though it was 1 size too small.

My only issues are:

1. Price - expensive
2. Wear - Velcro does a number on it.
3. Insulation - it does compress more and I've had people tell me that it is not as warm as other suits.

I used one in Hawaii a couple of years ago, water temp in mid 70's. It was a 7mm and I thought I would die. I ended up leaving the back unzipped and scooping water about every two minutes. Second and third dives I did in my Lycra skin.

I have a lycra skin and a Henderson 1 mil Microprene. I absolutely love my lycra skin, just cause it makes life much easier to don anykind of wetsuit. I've also worn it under some rented 7 mils... and geesh... it's soooo much easier to get suited up! I would say, if nothing else, to buy a lycra skin just for the convenience. Also, I live in Indiana and have worn just my skin in the quarries during July/August from time to time and been ok temperature wise.... but then again, if I was just in my skin, I didn't venture under the thermocline much (only for a couple minutes, a couple time... BRRRR!)

jbichsel:
Scubadivadivemaster,
Even though I don't own a Hyperstretch, I have used them and they are awesome for fit. Most comfortable suit I've ever had on even though it was 1 size too small.

My only issues are:

1. Price - expensive
2. Wear - Velcro does a number on it.
3. Insulation - it does compress more and I've had people tell me that it is not as warm as other suits.

I used one in Hawaii a couple of years ago, water temp in mid 70's. It was a 7mm and I thought I would die. I ended up leaving the back unzipped and scooping water about every two minutes. Second and third dives I did in my Lycra skin.

Hi jbichsel, yes, they are a little more expensive then some, but the ease of use and comfort are big factors for me, and I guess lots of divers from the comments I get when I'm traveling and diving. As I said, the velcro does fuzz it up but it doesn't cause a performance problem. I just make sure all my velcro is closed. I do that anyway to make sure my BCD cummerbund doesn't get crap in it to cause problems with it, maybe I'm a little more OCD about it than others. I agree that it isn't quite as warm as some other 7mm's, but I wear a hood and gloves anyway, so that really makes a difference. I've been in 59 degree water with my 7/5mm full suit, 5mm core warmer, 5mm hood and gloves and survived. And I'm REALLY cold natured! Not that I'd do it too many times...:blinking:

I don't know how anyone could dive in 70 degree water (or anything under 85 degrees) with anything less than a 7/5mm. Wish I could...you wanna loan me some of your "warm naturedness" sometime? :D I think I need a new thermostat, mine's stuck on "freezing all the time". :shakehead

C U underwater, :snorkel:
scubadivadivemaster

ScubaDivaDivemaster:
I don't know how anyone could dive in 70 degree water (or anything under 85 degrees) with anything less than a 7/5mm. Wish I could...you wanna loan me some of your "warm naturedness" sometime? :D I think I need a new thermostat, mine's stuck on "freezing all the time". :shakehead

C U underwater, :snorkel:
scubadivadivemaster

Sorry, my wife and daughters claims all my unused warmth. Must be a girls thing. They wear sweats and are still freezing while I'm in shorts and t-shirt sweating! Oh, well.

Maybe someday I can justify a Hyperstretch, probably for my wife as she hates fighting wetsuits. None for the kids until they stop growing!

P.S. Where in Dallas? We used to live in Carrollton and still come down to visit friends and family several times a year. Maybe we could organize a trip to Clear Springs Scuba Park?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom