Question Skin Suit for Raja Ampat December??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSpaniel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would anyone recommend a skin suit instead of a shortie wetsuit for Raja Ampat in December. I think the water should be warm enough, but more for protection from jellies. We rent all gear except fins/mask, and it seems like the liveaboard has 3mm shorties...

Also, what skin suit brands would you recommend?

My best ever suit is my Bare Exowear 3mm full suit.
And before you say you don’t want/need a 3 mm just go and try it on.
It’s not neoprene, very lightweight and best of all: the “inside” has some kind of “fleece” so it never feels cold, when you put it on (not even when wet!
I’ve had skin suits for many years, but now bring my Exowear

I had no issues with my 1.5 top my last two trips to Raja. Im like an oven though, so your experience may vary.

Personally when diving Indonesia (incl. Raja Ampat twice these last 12 months) I was using -and loved- my Sharkskin chillproof wetsuit, it's composed of a longsleeve top and separate pants : its warmth is equivalent to a 3mm but easier to don/dof since it's in 2 parts also more comfortable than a neoprene suit with fleece inside, it's light, almost neutral buoyancy and quick drying. It can also be worn under a 5mm neoprene for colder waters (20-24mm).
The only drawback I can see is its price, but IMO worth it when diving warm waters often.

Whatever you decide to wear, it's best to have exposed skin covered to avoid the stinging cells in Indonesia waters. The water is warm in December, and it's tempting to not wear a full wetsuit, but don't do it. The waters are also very polluted.

Back
Top Bottom