Skin separating from seam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So a few dives into the new suit and things are going great, but after rinsing the suit this past weekend, I noticed a small- maybe 1" tear along the seam of tech skin, where the thinner stretch layer runs down the inside of the leg. The seam is still intact, but the lycra skin has separated from it. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue, and possible fixes? I'm sure I haven't snagged the suit, so I'm worried a bit about this happening elsewhere along the seams...

Also, while lacing up the boots during our last dives, the grommet from top eyelet popped out- anyone have tip/trick to prevent the boot from slowly tearing? I'm worried over time the eyelet will stretch and rip open- maybe I'm just paranoid? I really like the boots- waaay better than the old boots that we used with our Bare suits.

Aside from the two minor (hopefully the tear on the seam is minor) issues, we both love the suits and recommend them to anyone!

I have the same type of problem but only on the sport skin so far. I got my suit a few days ago and noticed after a pool tryout there was a 1 inch separation on the inside leg near the knee. I'm not sure if it was a tear or a separation, but it's right at the seam and appears pretty clean. Anyways, talked to my LDS and Whites and I can have it sent back and fixed under warranty, but it could take 4 weeks and cost me shipping. After a couple of calls, I decided to get the skin fixed locally for the same cost of shipping. There are lots of outdoor-gear oriented repair shops in town that can fix lycra, etc. Plus, the sport skin was a bonus skin in lieu of long delivery of my tech skin. So, I can't gripe about fixing it as it was in the end....free.

So, I got my sport skin back from the repair shop. I can't even tell where the original tear was located. And best of all...for $7 and one week. I was told by my LDS that I would have to send it back to Whites at my expense and wait 4 weeks. I have to think that shipping alone would have been more than $7 plus I saved 3 weeks in delays.

I guess the external skin is another reason that makes this design so ingenious. If have repairs for either skin, my tech or sport, I know that I don't necessarily need to send it back to Whites. For inner bag issues, I will definitely get them fixed at Whites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom